Native fish legality question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
In August (when I move to a dorm that has NO restrictions on tank sizes) I am wanting to get a large tank, oh... probably 50-75 gallons. I brought this up to my father, who is an avid fisherman, and he came up with the idea of me keeping Georgia-native fish in the tank. Actually, his idea was to get a bunch of minnows and see what they grow up to be. I didn't exactly like that side, not knowing what fish I m getting or what to do if it is something I cannot keep... but, maybe getting young fish (of a species that I can accommodate for) and keeping them in a tank, providing all the needs that they would have had in the wild. It doesn't sound legal... but, it's worth a point to ask.
Would this be legal, removing fish from the wild? Or would I have to go to a fish farm, or something? Are there breeders for native fish that I could legally purchase from?
Oh, and my friend came up with the idea of buying them from a bait and tackle shop... I'm not sure how legal that sounds either.
I know that this is probably a dumb question... so, go soft on me!:mrgreen:

It may very well be illegal to put wild native species in your aquarium, however, I do not see you getting in trouble for a fish in an aquarium. I have had sunfish, bluegill, bass, pike, and even a small trout in the past in my tanks. Its just one of those nonsense laws that is un-enforceable. In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about.

It may very well be illegal to put wild native species in your aquarium, however, I do not see you getting in trouble for a fish in an aquarium. I have had sunfish, bluegill, bass, pike, and even a small trout in the past in my tanks. Its just one of those nonsense laws that is un-enforceable. In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about.

It's not whether you get caught. It's the fact that it's illegal, hence unethical, to keep those fish.

TCFL, check locally. Here in Illinois, it just became legal to keep native fish a few years ago.

Note that in some states, it may be legal to take the fish and put them in your aquarium, but it would be illegal to re-release them back into the wild (even though they are native species). This is primarily a measure to protect against any chance of them catching a disease in your aquarium and then transmitting that disease to populations in the wild.

If you are interested in North American native fish, I highly suggest you take a look at Sachs Aquaculture, which specializes in selling native species. They are located in Florida but I imagine many of the species they have would be native to Georgia as well and it might give you some ideas of what you might want and how large various species can grow. I've purchased from them a couple of times over the years and always been very pleased with the fish I've received.

One thing of note when dealing with native-caught species is that they are (obviously) not used to eating flake food so most of them need to be fed on a diet of entirely live foods, at least for a while until you can gradually "teach" them to eat other stuff.

It's not whether you get caught. It's the fact that it's illegal, hence unethical, to keep those fish.

But you can drag them into the boat and fillet them with impunity.

We have the same laws here in Florida for Gopher Tortoises. It's Illegal to pick one up and move it out of the road but you can run over it with no legal problems.

Kind ah dumb. :rolleyes:

We have the same laws here in Florida for Gopher Tortoises. It's Illegal to pick one up and move it out of the road but you can run over it with no legal problems.

there are size and quantity laws to what you can drag into the boat and fillet. you also have to have a license to do so. it's regulated by the Wildlife dept. to ensure the survival of the species.

From what I can figure out, it seems the motivation to keep local species illegal is to prevent releasing captive fish into the wild.

DO NOT RELEASE FISH INTO THE WILD.

There are a lot of things that can go bad when you release captive fish, and it's near impossible to prevent people from doing it. The easiest way to pevent captive fish being released is to stop people from having captive fish. Thats the reasoning I was given for the laws in my area.

(As a note, we have a national park with "hot pools". These are tropical like springs that create these warm ponds. Someone released tropical freshwater fish into them, and the fish liked what they saw and colonized the pools. This is a "black eye" for them. They don't want foreign species in an area they're trying to preserve as "natural")

Definitely one of those things that is going to vary by state, and also by enforcement ability. Also depends on the status of the particular fish you are interested in. Here in Wyoming for example, any type of minnow may be captured at any time by using a minnow trap, and then may be used for bait fishing or kept in an aquarium. There are strict laws regarding the release of those fish back into native water however, not only to prevent the spread of disease, but also to prevent the introduction of nonnative or invasive species. Non native minnows can be purchased from bait shops, and its legal to keep them in a aquarium or fish with them, but its not legal to release live bait into local streams. As far as game species, you are allowed to keep them in an aquarium provided you have a current fishing licease, and the number kept counts against your daily legal limit - again, one of those unenforceable laws, but that is how the law reads.

Kind of shows how crazy legal issues can get; we have a natural hot springs outside of Jackson WY called Kelly Hot Springs. Kelly Hot Springs is located in a state park, but is a popular spot for people from Jackson to come and sit in the hot springs. Someone at some point decided it would be nice to have something to look at while they were sitting in the hot springs, so they brought their aquarium fish and released them into the hot springs. They not only survived in the warm water, but they've reproduced, so now there are goldfish, convict cichlids, swordtails, and other tropic fish living and reproducing in the hot springs. They of course are outcompeting the native warm springs dace, which is now listed as a threatened species. Because the hot spring resides within a state park, it is illegal to remove the introduced fish, and so they continue to reside in the hot springs
13.gif

That is a ridiculous law. I also reside in Florida, Northwest Florida, Destin/Fort Walton area. Run over the turtle is OK, but dont move it out of the road. We have some real "Einstiens writing our laws....

I know! I work in the Marine Industry in Florida.

Recently I went out deep sea fishing (End of September). Ended up catching a load of Red Snapper, but had to throw them back due to them being out of season. Sad part is, seems they dont survive the process of being caught. Throw em' back and you see them floating until the dolphins get them. Makes very little sense to me.....

Yeah, some bottom fish can't survive the pressure difference of coming to the surface. I've seen the same thing here, only bald eagles ate them instead of dolphins.

So, I guess to sum this up, I need a fishing license and talk someone into catching the fish for me.

But, wouldn't the fish be terribly injured or stressed from being caught? I haven't found any places around my area that sell natives and I don;t trust having a fish shipped to a college dorm... I'm sure someone will torture it before I get it.

Being a college student-- be really cautious about such a big tank. Remember you have to move that thing a couple of times per year if you're living in the dorms. It's a LOT of work. And who's going to take care of that tank for 2+ weeks over the winter holidays? (I move my little tank home-- but a tank that big, hoo boy.)

I know college is exciting, and so is fishkeeping, but there's a good time for everything and it might not be when you want it to be. Think about it... gotta do what's right for the fish.

Good point. I have my dorm lease from August to July and next year my roommate and I are moving to a dorm that we will stay the remaining three years in, so it will be awhile before I move them. Once I graduate, I would be moving the big tank to my late grandfather's house, where I will be moving also.

My current dorm (tiny freshman dorms) won't allow anything over ten gallons sadly. The one we are moving to has no limit. Actually a lot of people who work at the Petsmart here live there. One girl has a 180g in her dorm! I guess she put her mattress in there??? My roommate has already said that she wants to put a big tank where you would have the tv, so I have to find one that will fit into the cabinet they provide.

Thank you for all of your comments though!!

What about when you go home for winter break? I teared down my 10 gallon in my dorm last year because I had nothing to do with it during the 5 weeks of winter break.

So, I guess to sum this up, I need a fishing license and talk someone into catching the fish for me.

But, wouldn't the fish be terribly injured or stressed from being caught? I haven't found any places around my area that sell natives and I don;t trust having a fish shipped to a college dorm... I'm sure someone will torture it before I get it.

You don't need a fishing license to keep it in your tank. Just check the local laws. In California it is illegal to transport live fish which you catch. So, it is illegal to catch a catfish and put in your fish tank. However, it is legal to buy it from our LFS and keep it.

What about when you go home for winter break? I teared down my 10 gallon in my dorm last year because I had nothing to do with it during the 5 weeks of winter break.

Oh, I would only be gone for a few days. I don't celebrate Christmas, being an atheist. I would only go see my parents for a few days and then be back in my dorm. I have to start brushing up on organic and analytical for the summer and looking for a job.

Back
Top Bottom