Natural driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbigfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some driftwood gathered from a brackish river that has been removed from water for several years now I have read sights saying to submerge in boiling in water for a few days then submerge in normal water for a few more days. The sights seem to vary on weather or not to use normal boiling water or boiling salt water. Which treatment would be safer for a freshwater tank and with this wood need any extra precautions? Never experimented with natural driftwood before so any advice would be helpful

I would say normal water. Since salt doesn't evaporate with water, you can risk the salt staying on the wood. And if you have live plants, salt will kill them.

When I did my natural dw..I boiled and boiled and boiled and boiled...for about one week ....my pieces have been in my tank now about one month and I haven't seen any side effects..also let it sit in the boiling hot water over night..m..pour out tannin water regularly

I've used collected wood in many tanks. I put them through the dishwasher (no soap!!) a few times then chucked it straight into the tank. It floats but nothing a few rocks don't fix. ;) All you really need to do is kill any nasties that could be in/on the wood before introducing it to the tank. Tannin doesn't do any harm and if it floats weigh it down.

I would say normal water. Since salt doesn't evaporate with water, you can risk the salt staying on the wood. And if you have live plants, salt will kill them.

It would depend on the amount of salt. My brackish tank has been up to a SG of 1.018 and it didn't effect any of my plants.

Thanks for the advice I won't use any salt in the water. Now I just have to wait for this hurricane to pass

Back
Top Bottom