Natural Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you guys think about more Natural tanks? When I say that I'm talking about fish keepers who use no chemicals what so ever. I know I try to do that and my girlfriends dad does the same with his 55G(he has a chocolate cichlid, Bala shark, Pleco and I think a Ruby shark). I'm new to the hobby but he's been around a while(got me more into it). He's gone maybe 5-6 years or more using natural substances if needed. As for water changes, the spring water in Florida is good enough and hasn't given him any problems. What do you guys think?

Other than dechlorinator I'm not sure what chemicals people add on a regular basis. I think your girlfriend's dad should readjust his stocking though on that tank ;)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I mean like parasite preventers, Dechlorinators, Stress reducers, pH balance, chemicals like that. Lol, yeah I know but he's a real stubborn guy and he kinda brought me into this hobby, who am I to tell him to restock his tank that he's in love with.

Most of the advice I see given is to use as few chemicals as possible. Natural ways to buffer your pH, such as calcareous rocks or peat moss, quarantine new fish as a preventative from illnesses, using the heat method to get rid of ich, etc. I think most people strive for a natural aquarium and the least amount of chemical additives possible. However, dechlorinator is the exception because for me, the water coming out of my sink smells like a public pool from the amount of chlorine in it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use Prime to get rid of Chlorine and the dreaded Chloramines.

I use fertilizers as those nourish my plants and the fertilizers are the same substances they would get in nature.

Besides that if I want to adjust my pH or TDS I just use part distilled and part tap water for my water changes.

It's a glass box, it's not natural. All we can do is try to keep it in balance so that you don't need to add things to fix problems.

I use Indian Almond Leaves in my tanks.

I have a lot of plants that also keep my water in good shape.

I don't use heaters currently. I do use HOB filters. I don't use air stones.

My box of nature is as basic as I can get. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422649013.102897.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422649081.670621.jpg

Bouncing your parameters all over with chemicals is NOT recommended by a majority of us AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use 4 additives to my tank and couldnt really have the tank I want without them.

1. Prime. Its a must
2 and 3 - micro and macro ferts for my plants. Fish would never produce enough to keep my plants happy.

4. Gluraraldehyde - liquid carbon to make my plants grow.

Other than that you shouldn't need any chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom