Need a cleaner upper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've noticed that my bichir doesn't eat all of his his pellets sometime so I need a fish that could swoop in thre and eat the left overs!! Any thoughts? It's a 40 gallon bow front

Most catfish will do the job, but as you've got a birchir you'll need catfish of a decent size, Rafaels are good, shovel noses too, just have a look in your lfs, see what sizes they get to, then choose what you think will work.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Synodontis Petricola are my current fav. type of cat. They should be large enough to avoid being eaten by the bichir. There are also other larger types of syno cats out there as well.

Synodontis Petricola are my current fav. type of cat. They should be large enough to avoid being eaten by the bichir. There are also other larger types of syno cats out there as well.

And they like shrimp in general?

They are omnivores. They will eat just about anything. They do however do best in small schools of 3+ and they can be hard to find.

I think they sell them at petsmart I'll post a pic if it's the right one

Actually they don't. How bout a bumble catfish as I know where they sell them

Or try feeding less?

Buying a fish to solve a problem you create is quite foolish.

They fish would depend on you over feeding the tank in order to thrive.

My stock is quite low tho so I wouldn't mind adding another fish

If your stock is low, why are you feeding so much?

You'd be better off looking for a fish that you truly want, not what you think you need.

I had this problem a while back and wasted some good money on a fish I really didn't need.

Well what do u suggest getting I have a bichir and a leopard ctenopoma

Imo a catfish Is always a good addition, and they have the bonus of eating a lot of food that doesn't get eaten right away, but you should try feeding the birchir little less. However if you are going for a catfish a way to choose is google freshwater aquarium catfish then have a look and see what catches your eye, then do sum research on that fish, so is it comparable with the birchir, will it grow to a good size, does it have any special needs, etc...

Imo a catfish Is always a good addition, and they have the bonus of eating a lot of food that doesn't get eaten right away, but you should try feeding the birchir little less. However if you are going for a catfish a way to choose is google freshwater aquarium catfish then have a look and see what catches your eye, then do sum research on that fish, so is it comparable with the birchir, will it grow to a good size, does it have any special needs, etc...

Wow thx. I actually think of my next fish to be a catfish lol. I'll try that method right now

So I did that strategy and got this

Small shoal of 3 pitcus catfish
1 stripped Raphael
1-2 Synodontis Petricola

Well, all of your other fish are going to need a bigger tank eventually so why not.

Back
Top Bottom