Need a little help/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunnman39

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I set up a 10 gal freshwater tank over the summer and I was not that educated on anything at the time so I got the tank set it up that night and put fish in the next day. At one point I had about 10 fish in there not knowing that they will die from ammonia burns. Now I only lost about 2 fish that way and the rest seemed to be fine. I then purchased another fish from a LPS and be again not realizing anything ended getting a fish with ich. So I ended up losing all but 2 fish. Even with treatment I still had causalities. But anyway the fish tank ended just sitting there with 2 lonely fish for a long time. These fish have been here since the beginning and they look perfectly healthy now. So I figured it is time to add more fish. On black Friday I took a trip to the LFS and got some fish 50% off. I would like to know now if they will all be okay and healthy and if my fish selections all get along well...thanks for reading this long story and for any help.

The two fish that I had from the beginning
1)MM Platy
2)Zebra Danio

Newbies
3)Female Guppy
4)Male Guppy
5)Dumbo Betta
6)Black Kuhli Loach
7)ADF
9)2 Snails

Also I love guppies and would love to try to have some babies. Is there any way to do this?

Guppies should be 3 female to 1 male to reduce aggression in breeding bettas will kill guppies unless they are dull colored guppies even then there's a chance. adfs I believe are messy eaters and could be a problem with wast but not sure about that. Depending on snails could get out of hand if overfed

Keep calm and drum on

Before you worry about breeding guppies, you need to have a school of kuhli loaches. They need to be in groups. So I would get 4 more. Same goes for the zebra danios.

You're also overstocked. I would pick two of the following groups:

5 zebra danios
3 platys (1 male, 2 female)
5 guppies (1-2 male, 3-4 female)
5 kuhli loaches.

If you would rather keep the betta, I would only keep it with the kuhli loaches.

I would rehome the frog regardless.

Snails have almost no bioload so don't worry about them.

If you want to breed guppies, just keep 1-2 males and 3-4 females. They will spawn very easily. Same goes for the platys. IF you want to have a lot of babies survive, I would keep the guppies by themelves and you could increase your numbers to 2-3 males and 5-6 females.

Hope this helps.

Before you worry about breeding guppies, you need to have a school of kuhli loaches. They need to be in groups. So I would get 4 more. Same goes for the zebra danios.

5 zebra danios
5 kuhli loaches.

If you would rather keep the betta, I would only keep it with the kuhli loaches.

If you want to breed guppies, just keep 1-2 males and 3-4 females. They will spawn very easily. Same goes for the platys. IF you want to have a lot of babies survive, I would keep the guppies by themelves and you could increase your numbers to 2-3 males and 5-6 females.

Hope this helps.
+1 couldnt have said it better myself.

In the future, before you buy any more fish please do some research before buying them.

5 zebra danios
5 kuhli loaches.

Hope this helps.

So how do I solve the issue with the fish I have now? I would really like to keep the platy and danio because they have been here since the beginning. But one of my favorite fish is the guppies. I currently have no room for more tanks as I have a small betta bowl, a small tank with goldfish and a 55 gal sw (surprisingly I know a lot about sw as I am doing a lot of research). Anyway if I am overstocked now with 7 tank mates how would it help by picking two of the groups you listed? The max number there is 10. Sorry for these stupid questions I just wanna make sure everything is healthy.

So how do I solve the issue with the fish I have now? I would really like to keep the platy and danio because they have been here since the beginning. But one of my favorite fish is the guppies. I currently have no room for more tanks as I have a small betta bowl, a small tank with goldfish and a 55 gal sw (surprisingly I know a lot about sw as I am doing a lot of research). Anyway if I am overstocked now with 7 tank mates how would it help by picking two of the groups you listed? The max number there is 10. Sorry for these stupid questions I just wanna make sure everything is healthy.

You could keep the platy, guppies, and add 4 more zebrafish. But you'd have to rehome everything else. You're overstocked now because the betta is equal to an entire group of those other fish, and because you need to add 4 more of the danios and loaches which would put you way over your stocking limit.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could keep the platy, guppies, and add 4 more zebrafish. But you'd have to rehome everything else. You're overstocked now because the betta is equal to an entire group of those other fish, and because you need to add 4 more of the danios and loaches which would put you way over your stocking limit.

So if I relocate the betta and the frog and add 4 each of the danios and loaches I will be good or still overstocked?

So if I relocate the betta and the frog and add 4 each of the danios and loaches I will be good or still overstocked?

Still overstocked. I forgot to add you would need another female guppy as well or the male will harass your female to death.

Still overstocked. I forgot to add you would need another female guppy as well or the male will harass your female to death.

What's your solution?

My solution is what I said above- pick two groups of fish and bring the rest back to the store. You can mix and match to some degree but there's no way you can keep everything.

Back
Top Bottom