need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And if you have a Python, the PWC will be quicker. I didn't have one at the time I set mine up, and did the 75% PWC with 5G buckets. That's why I took longer. With a Python, it would take you probably less than half the time for the new setup.

well regarding the driftwood, i will wait a few days to get some ....i just want to change the bedding for now....since it is the most drastic.

no python here....heard of it but not sure exactly wat it is. i do have two or three 5 gallon drinking water jugs that i use to add water..lol -pia-

Just keep the media from the filter wet to keep the bacteria alive. The goldies should be ok for a couple hours in the tank without the filter.

As for the sand, I'd put about 6 inches of water in the tank, then add the sand. Then fill the tank. If the tank is somewhat cloudy, then do a quick PWC to help get rid of more cloudyness. Then let it sit for about an hour. If it's pretty clear, add the filter and the fish and the bag of gravel from the old tank setup on the bottom of the tank. Leave it in for a couple days, then you can remove.

Should be pretty simple and quick. When all is done, with the test kit, monitor the tank for a few days to make sure all's good. If you get some ammonia readings, might be a small cycle, just do pwc's to keep the levels down. But since the filter is cycled, you should be ok. And the bag of old gravel in the bottom is a bonus to help the spread of bacteria in the sand.

ok, im getting a good idea how to do this...hopefully i will do it this week...

how often r the pwc allowed....like daily/weekly...etc

You can do as often as you want. It's preferred, that is with a cycled tank and no ammonia or nitrite, doing 25% weekly. I do 50% weekly myself, and my nitrates never get above 20ppm.

If you do get some ammonia from a small initial cycle, I'd do 30% PWC every day or every other day til it drops to 0ppm, as well as nitrite 0ppm. But if the cycled filter does the job, might not have to worry about this, and 25% weekly will work.

Also, with sand, no need to gravel vac the sand. Just wave the gravel vac over the sand to kick up some of the poo and waste and suck it up with the gravel vac. If you push the gravel vac in the sand, it will suck up the sand, which you don't want. Then occasionally use your hand to stir the gravel a little so there's no buildup of gasses that could harm the fish. Or if you get some MTS, they will do it for you, as they are snails that burrow in the sand helping remove excess food and stirs up the sand.

And remember to keep the media in the filter wet until you set the filter on the tank. You can do this by putting tank water in a bucket and place the media, sponges, filter cartriges, etc, in the tank water in the bucket. Then put the media back in the filter when you set it up on your new setup. Once the tank is filled, use dechlor to remove the chlorine/chloramine, then start up the filter when the water is fairly clear.

Just thought of another thing that will help keep the tank from cycling. Take some of the gravel and put in the other tank, then put tank water in the other tank. Then when the fish are moved over, you don't have to acclimate as it's the tank water in the old tank and the temp is the same. Then move the fish over.

After moving the fish, remove all but 6 inches of water. Remove the rest of the gravel and add the sand. The tons of bacteria in the bottom of the tank after removing gravel will mix into the sand as well. Then fill the tank back up with water near the same temp, and add dechlor as you fill it up.

Was just another thought I had. Hope you are getting all this. Let me know if there's something you don't understand and I'll be more than happy to go over it with you again.

To sum everything up from above, here it is.

1. Remove filter and ornaments, keeping filter media wet in tank water.
2. Move tank water over to small tank.
3. Move some gravel over.
4. Move fish over, no acclimation necessary as it's the tank water and the temp is very close to the same.
5. Remove all but 6 inches of water.
6. Remove rest of gravel.
7. Add sand. You can rinse small amounts of sand, then add to aquarium until you have the depth you want. I use a pitcher to do this, put about 4-5 inches of sand in the bottom, then run under faucet til it overflows. As it's overflowing, stir sand gently with hand til the water that is overflowing is clear. Don't stir too hard as the sand is light, and might go down the drain as well.
8. Fill tank up with water and add dechlor (Prime is recommended by most people) as you are filling.
9. If cloudy from sand, do a PWC to remove some more cloudyness.
10. Let tank sit about an hour or til it's pretty clear. Might be shorter, might be a little longer.
11. Install heater, filter and media and plug it in.
12. Acclimate fish and put in tank, as there will be a slight difference in water chemistry and temp.
13. Setup decor, etc., then you are finished.

Hope this gives a clear picture. Should only take 4-5 hours at the most. :)

Then test water daily for the next few days for ammonia and nitrite to be sure all's well. If all's well, 25% PWC's weekly. If ammonia and nitrite spike, daily 30% PWC's til spike passes. then 25% PWC's weekly.

i planned to put some gravel and water from the old tank to make it an easier and faster transition for the fishys.

I got it for now...well at least till i get my hands dirty...lol

i planned to put some gravel and water from the old tank to make it an easier and faster transition for the fishys.

I got it for now...well at least till i get my hands dirty...lol

hoping I can do this, (i want to, have the ability, just that it isnt exactly my tank,)

if he wont let me, i got an easier solution.....i will just get another tank that will be mine, and i can do what ever i want to it.

As soon as which ever the outcome will be i will let you know.

Back
Top Bottom