Need advice about aggressive fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RANNIT2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my first fish tank. Unfortunately, I dont know the name of the fish I think is causing the problem. It is about 3 inches long, opaque light blue color, orange spot above eyes and couple light blue spots at the base of its tail. He's been chaising more or less all fishes since he was put it. One of the tetras just died about a month ago. I found my last tetra today with one of the front fins bitten off, most of the tail gone. I separated it as soon as could to a cup. Here are two questions:
1. Can tetra grow its tail and fin back ? sorry for stupid question but i just like him a lot and i dont know if i should just give up on him ... :sorry:
2. Is there anything that i can put in with this "punk" fish?

I would greatly appriciate all suggestions.

There could be alot mroe issues here than just an aggressive fish. Usually, its hard to tell why a fish died when you find it. THey have always looked like they were attacked to death, but really its just the fish eating it after they die.

Was this tank cycled? How long has it been up and running? What are your test readings and how many fish have died?

Welcome to AA! We will do our very best to help.
First sometimes a fish can grow a fin or tail back, depends on the severity. A cup will not suffice as a QT tank. If you have a clean plastic container of at least one gal and an airstone, put the fish in that and change water every day. Add melafix and pimafix to aid with healing. It doesn't sound terribly promising from what you have described.

The aggression your fish is showing can be due to several things. One it may be an aggressive fish, it might be a territorial issue due to tank size, it may be an issue with incompatible fish.

Telling us what size tank, all your inhabitants, how long it has been up and running, what your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) are and if you have added anything new to the tank, will help us help you.

As for ID on the fish, a pic is a necessity to accuratly get an ID.

Personally, I have never had a problem with fish growing parts of their fins back. I have a pair of breeding cons and sometimes the little fry are too tempting a treat for the others. Sure, they get one or two but mom and dad will take a chunk out of a fin for their attempts. If the fin isn't entirely gone it should grow back.

Without a picture, I don't think anyone will be able to ID the fish in question. It could be a blue gourami to an african cichlid.

Also, as Zags put it: it could be a species incompatibility issue or tank size problem.

It sounds like a blue gourami to me, but without a picture I can't tell for sure. Can look on www.fishprofiles.com and try to ID the fish? I know its alot of profiles to sort through, but having an ID on this fish or all your fish (if you don't know) can really make a difference. Housing fish together that don't belong together could be a recipe for disaster. Not something you want to deal with.

Toirtis, that's what I was thinking is that is was a cichlid as well. That would certainly explain the aggression on several counts.

Back
Top Bottom