need advice choosing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clandon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the process of cycling my 29 gal tank and it's going along smoothly. Once it's cycled, I have to choose which fish to put in. At the moment, I have 3 blood hearted tetras, 1 red-tail shark and one albino rainbow shark.

I would like to hear some recommendations from you pros out there. I falling for cichlids, but I'm not sure the 29 gal tank is big enough and I'm sure they won't get along with the tetras, but I'd be willing to put those in a different tank or give them to another home if cichlids would work. I'm not sold on anything yet and I have a open mind so any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated greatly.

Thanks in advance.

-casey

What type of cichlids are you looking for? South American? African? Most African's need a larger tank. Some can be in a 29 gal tank. From what I've read, there are quite a few South American's that can be kept in 29 gal tanks.

Fishyfanatic,

You had spoke with me about Cichlids earlier in the week. I believe your favs were Africans from Lake Malawi. I'm really open to suggestions. I've never had any Cichlids or many other freshwater fish for that matter. I'd like to have a pretty stocked tank if possible, so if I can only have 2 o 3 cichilds with not many other fish, I'll probably just wait until I have a bigger aquarium.

If that is the case, could you maybe recommend some other cool fish that would work?

Thanks for all of your help!
-casey

If I were you, I'd wait until I had at least a 55 gal tank before committing to African Cichlids.

In regards to a 29 gal tank, you have a lot of options of smaller fish, or South American Cichlids. You could have a couple different schools of 6 Tetra's. If you could give me an idea of what you are looking for, I'd be able to better give you suggestions. There are SO many different types of fish you could put in that tank.

Are you wanting 1 or 2 big fish and some small ones? A bunch of small ones? And it also depends on the variety of fish that you have available in your area.

I think it'd be alright to have a couple of medium sized fish and have some small ones. But I wouldn't mind going a lot of small fish as well. What I've noticed from my tetras is, they are okay, but I'm already kinda board with them. That just goes for the blood hearted tetras. They are active and playful, but from a cosmetic stand point I just don't know how long I'd enjoy them. :)

What are some South American Cichlids you think are good? From what I can tell, between Dallas, Arlington, and Fort Worth the options on fish are huge.

My mother had a bunch of discus for what seemed about 10 years, and they are beautiful. From what I've read though, that are a pain in the butt, especially for a rookie aquarist like myself.

Does that help at all?

You could have two Panda Dwarf Cichlid's (SA). I don't really have any good S.A. Cichlid sites, but maybe you could PM Severum Mama, I know that she does. She has experience with S.A. Cichlids and could give you some options.

IMO, the Sharks will have to go, no matter what you put in the tank. They need a larger tank. They require the swimming room.

If you were looking at smaller fish, you could have 2 schools of 6 Tetra's, toss in a school of Cory's, and you're set.

Or, you could have a couple Gourami's with a school of Rasbora's.

Any of these options sound like what you're looking for?

go for a community tank similar to the 55g I have in my sig, its always interesting to watch.

Since you are in Arlington, do you know where Pet-o-rama is on Bedford/Hardwood road?

I suggest going there since (normally) they have a really wide variety of fish in really neat displays... go with a pen and paper and write down what you really like- anything and everything... BUT DONT BUY! (hehe) and come back and everyone here can help you piece together what would work n stuff

i used to want angels, but now im in love with the long finned rosey barbs... they are fairly inexpensive (about $5) and very active. They are fun to watch, but they are hard on the plants! I also like loaches and want to get more. My clown laoch died, im thinking of getting 3 thoug because everyone says they do best in groups. I saw a guy with a 35 gallon chiclid tank (Spelling? lol) and it was absolutely beutiful, they all schooled together, he had about 15 in there. Maybe that's too many , and i don't know what kind, but it was really nice. and they were very friendly, i just want a variety, not all the same thing, which is why i like the barbs. I also want to get some gouramis... they are really pretty.

Blue rams looks great and from what I've read, although not as pretty, keyhole cichlids are a nice option. The panda dwarf is cool too. To many options. :) I'll keep reading as much as I can and frequent fish stores for the time being while my tank is going through the cycling process.

Blue rams don't seem to live long, from what I've read. Keyholes seems to be great, but lack the flash or color. Panda dwarfs look great as well as the blue rams. thanks for everyones input. Any other suggestions are welcomed. :)

What keyholes lack in colour they make up for in stature and grandure. Sort of like the classic little black dress. Not fancy, not showy but not ordinary, just class and elegance

wow, I just noticed the second page, overlooked before my last reply. I'll keep all of this in mind.

lyquidphyre, I'll check out the pet-o-rama, that's not far from me. I was previously just going to petsmart and petland.

mattrox, the more I read about them, the more great things are said about them, like you mentioned. I'm going to try and find some a the lfs and stare at them for a while. :)

are the keyholes okay with other fish, tetras and sharks? or are they picky? how many other fish, with a pair of keyholes could I have in a 29 gal? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom