Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation Need advice for special need golfish

Long story short a person in my family has Alzheimer and had to get rid of her 2 goldfish. I accepted to take them in because no one else would and I always wanted to get into the hobby.
I'm a beginner it is my first tank.
One thing I wasn't ready for though : their previous owner had Alzheimer and often forgot to feed them sometimes for a long stretch of time. It just a theory, but we assume that they were so hungry that they fought and ate each others fins and tail. That or they had severe fin rot.
No matter the cause, I now have 2 almost fin-less goldfish.
I know the 5 gallon tank is way too small and I intend to get a bigger one in a near future but in the mean time, I have no idea how to deal with them.
Normally you should feed a fish the amount they can eat in some say 20 seconds, other say a minute, but how about handicapped fish that cant swim well?
Not only that but I noticed the both float, I know its probably due to them sucking air while they eat so I bought sinking food but with their handicap I'm not sure they'll manage to find sinking pellets.
Also I think one of them is blind by one eye (or he's just not the brightest bulb). But he doesnt seem to notice food unless the food is one his good side.
I'm doing my best but I dont know what to do, those are my first fish and its my first tank... I had 3 days to research and learn all I could to care for them before they were brought to me, but I get contradicting information everywhere I go...
Can someone help me..?

Tags
advice, fish, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com