Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to ringfinger
Need advice for the finishing touch on my 29 gallon.

I have a 29 gallon planted tank with 2.25 WPG, being filtered by a Fluval 204. The tank is fully cycled, and has been running for 3 months without a single death. Currently I have the following fish:

10 Neons
3 Corys
3 Otos
1 Female Betta

I know more fish might be pushing it...what do you guys think? Do I have room for another school or maybe 5 small fish @ about 1" each? Or is there a single larger fish that would work well with this setup as a centerpiece? I would like to have a little more variety, so maybe I could cut back on a couple Neons and one of the Otos. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have had numerous recent trips to the LFS, and come home empty handed every time drawing a blank.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would increase the amount of cories. If you want a centerpiece, go with two smaller fish, like apistos or rams; however, it may upset the balance with your betta.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bettas are such an odd fish when it comes to choosing tank mates cause some of them get along with everything, some of them get along with nothing, and most are somewhere in between. That said I would definitely not put them in with angel fish or gouramis. I do think you have room for a couple more small fish or some more bottem feeders. I personally love kuhli loaches and doubt they would have any issues with the betta cause they are so small and cruise the bottem of the tank. They are alot of fun at feeding time....I think you could get three of these. Adding more corys is also a good suggestion. Not sure how the Betta would do with the rams but that sounds like something that might be worth trying. I recently got a striped raphael catfish that I really like, but he hides MOST of the time so that may not work for you. I have kept my betta successfully with a small school of black skirt tetras, corys, and an african dwarf frog with no problems. I have also kept them with platies....I just am not to fond of platies myself. Mystery snails are also fun. But again most of these some bettas will be okay with and some won't.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:41 PM   #4

id say you could cut down on the neons if you feel the need, but you don't necessarily have to. DEFINITELY get more Cories because they love being in schools... and they are more fun the more you have :P Also i wouldn't cut down on the oto's because not only are they great tank cleaners, but they like to be in schools as well.
I definitely think you could go for a pair of angels in there for "centerpiece" fish. Or if you don't like angels, maybe some sort of gourami... but i love my angels If you just buy 2 they won't necessarily pair up, but they will probably be happy together. Ive even seen people who just keep one angel as a centerpiece... I always buy them small and watch them grow out, mainly because I am trying to get a "breeding pair" but also because its cheaper.. LOL.

Oh,and i also had a male betta succesfully with angels on two different occasions, but now he has his own 1 gallon home and i keep a female betta in my community tank.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to ringfinger
I thought that Angels would get too big for my setup...? The Blue Rams sound fun if I feel like a challenge.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #6

A 30 gallon is the recomended size for a pair of angels.. its about the smallest you could have angels... but blue rams are really colorful, they stay small though don't they?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
A pair of angels fit nicely into a 29, from what I've seen down at the LFS in their display tanks.

29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com