Need Advice, High Nitrate, Amonia, and PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonny1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 28 gallon freshwater tank that I keep at 78 degrees.

My current PH Level is over 7.6

My Nitrate is between 40 and 80

My Amonia is between 4 and 8

Amonia has been high for a week. Don't know about PH and Nitrate, but currently are at levels stated above. 3 Days ago I changed 1/5th of the water. The next day I changed another 1/5th. Yesterday, I changed about 1/2. I cannot get these levels down! I think my fish are sick.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the levels down? Should I do prime in an emergency situation where I use 5 times the normal amount?

Thanks in advance.

Keep changing water 50-75% till ammonia is around .5
Why do you have ammonia and nitrates?
What fish do you have in tank?
How long has tank been set up ?
Has there been a death(missing fish ) or are you overfeeding?

I don't know why I have amonia and nitrates.

I have 3 Diamond tetras, 2 guppies, 2 glowfish, a red wag platy, a raphael catfish, a pleco, and a shrimp.

I think I need to get rid of the pleco right? Is it possible he is sucking the sllime coat off the fish? The problems seem to have started after I got him. I know he doesn't belong. Any suggestions?

Tank has been set up for about 4 months

Fish have been dying ever since I got the Pleco, 5 neon tetras, and the shrimp. I lost all my neon tetras and 2 guppies. Now one guppie is swimming around upside down. Other fish have looked eaten at even when still alive. 2 of the tetras I never recovered the bodies. I know I made a mistake with the pleco.

I feed them once every night at 8:00. I drop in a handful of tropical flakes and the usually get eaten up in about 3 or 4 minutes. Then I drop in 4 bottom feeding pellets for the catfish and pleco.

I know I may be doing this wrong. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Id remove the pleco, but seems deeper than that. Usually overstocked aquariums that get weekly water changes may run 1 or 2ppm ammonia but 4-8 is really high, id start with removing pleco and like coralbandit said, do large water changes every day or two until ur ammonia lowers, which will also lower nitrates

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also whenever fish die and u cant recover the body from ur tank, make sure you do a larger water change and vacuum ur substrate really well

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think you know to re home the pleco(unless he is a smaller bushy nose?)
Feed less and change more water.
Most skip one day a week feeding(fish will never show it).
They all act hungry and neglected(hidden talent for not so smart animal?)all the time anyways!
The ammonia is killing the fish not the pleco/but he may be the source of ammonia in the added bio load.

Back
Top Bottom