need advice on my Otocinclus algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I sure hope not. Its not fun to buy something when your told its something else!

Uh o lol...what do I do if it is a cae? My tank is way way way to small for those!

It doesnt look like an oto. But otos will attach to fish. It isnt a good thing. Messes with thweir protective coating. Of course this is only if they are starving.

That's why I'm confused. Do they just not like the wafers? I've got some live plants as well and I've put some lettuce at the bottom but he hasn't touched it

I'm no expert, but I think CAE's are mainly carnivores? In that case, the fish probably seem tastier then a big wad of algae.

Lol pet smart is going to hate me I feel like Im taking stuff back all the time! I guess this would be their fault though

I had a CAE for over 3 years. He was a very good eater, and didnt bother my other fish too much. I had gourami, angel, saverums, rainbows, corys. They are a little territorial, but not agressive. I think they get a bad reputation.

kades said:
Lol pet smart is going to hate me I feel like Im taking stuff back all the time! I guess this would be their fault though

I got mine at Petsmart... Listed as "Algae Eater" ... Worker told me he would be fine with 3 mollies, 2 platies, 3 guppies in a 10 gallon...
Hmmmmmm

Ha this was actually labeled oto algae eater.

Nygiants, I'm not really worried about the aggression too much just that my tank is too small. I have 2 now because I got him a mate to have in the tank thinking that might be why he was stressed but ask they had were like babies. Their both in the tank but haven't found each other yet...

Mine never got over 4''. I think you should let them go and see what happens. Just monitor closely.

Yeah I'm going to wait a little bit. I started some algae rocks and I'm going to see if that helps

I made the same mistake two and a half years ago. I purchased him for my 10g tank, actually two of them. One died in about 6 months and other one is doing well so far. He never bothers any fish, except occasional quick chasing around. He mostly stays in his castle and eat everything that falls to the bottom of the tank. He is about 4inches big and seams like stopped growing. At first he was great at eating algae. Then he discovered other food and don't eat algae as much, but somehow my tank stays algae free and doesn't require scrubbing.

Back
Top Bottom