Need Advice on Zucchini for Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoseidonCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All, I'm getting some bristlenose plecos which I hope will eventually breed. I hear they love zucchini, this will be my first attempt feeding my fish vegetables so I'd love any tips regarding preparation, feeding techniques and storage (I'd like to freeze some pre-prepared pieces so I don't have to cook them at each feeding, is this possible and how long do they last)? Feel free to direct me to an excellent link if you feel that would be the most helpful and I'd love to read your personal experiences as well, thanks everybody.

I often pre-prepare and freeze zucchini for my plec and she loves it as much as fresh.
Only thing that concerns me is any loss of nutrition

I often pre-prepare and freeze zucchini for my plec and she loves it as much as fresh.
Only thing that concerns me is any loss of nutrition

Great, can you go into details (how you prepare them pre-feeding, cooking times etc.) or point me to a site that explains the process, I need all the basic how tos, thanks.

So are you saying I cook a whole zucchini sitting in water for a minute in the microwave then peel it? That's what I'm getting from that video. Can someone post a Step 1. Take 1 raw zucchini Step 2:etc. guide for me or point me to something that will specifically show me the steps for preparing zucchini properly and freezing the rest for future feedings? Thanks.

Sorry what I meant was to put a slice(or how ever many slices you want) in a cup/bowl and microwave it 30-60sec and then dump out the water and put in cool water and then add to your tank.

Sorry for the confusion.

Fishobsessed7

i do not currently have any plecos...but when i did, i never even bothered cooking the veggies. just would clean them well, jab with a fork, and place on the bottom before lights out and remove in the morning. i do like to quarter or halve lengthwise and scrape out most of the seeds, especially with cucumber.

When I had a pleco I would cut a slice of zuchinni (or mine liked cucumber more) and put it in boiling water for 3 minutes. Then pour out the water, let it cool and drop it in. I boil it because it won't sink if it's raw and it's easier for them to eat when its soft.

I would wave the cucumber in front of the pleco before I dropped it in and he would go catch it immediately!

I cooked mine every time, don't know much about freezing the,

mine don't like cucumber, but love raw zucchini and the occasional broccoli stalk. broccoli cut lengthways to expose more of the inner, and zucchini in rounds on an angle. the male prefers to eat the skin. luckily my angels eat any stray seeds, but I only give them quite young veg so seeds are easily edible. I never cook or freeze them, always fresh, and of a size to last absolutely maximum 2 days.
They are weighed down by a de-barbed fish hook tied to a fishing weight with fishing line with a longer length sticking out of the tank to retrieve the empty hook.
broccoli 'skins' are removed as they don't always get consumed too quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm lazy. I just cut the zucchini or cucumber raw, take a stainless steel screw and screw it in for weight, and drop it in.

Take it out at the end of the day, or at least the next morning, or it starts falling apart. Especially zucchini, seems worse than cucumbers about disintegrating.

I would slice a cucumber in half, remove seeds, and tie a piece of fishing line to it and another length of line hanging outside of tank for easy retrieval.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom