Need advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawn070

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi im a newbie and wanted some advise. i have a fish that was attacked by two of his tankmates the offending fish have been re homed but the attacked fish has some scales missing on both sides and he does swim but is rigid and floats at top. will he be ok and is there i can do to help him please thanks

What kind of fish is it? What atatcked it? Is he eating?

There is probably not a whole lot you can do, make sure that the water movement is gentle enough to not push him around all over the place and that nothing else is stressing him out.

I found that a "net breeder" is an excellent place to house injured fish and allow them to heal if they are in trouble. It allows water to flow into the net, butkeep the fish in, and other fish out. It also creates less stress in that you can keep him in the exact same water peramaters that he is accustom to.

You mat want to try that?

ForumRunner_20121129_181627.jpg

This is the healthy one but dint know what they are as i rescued them as they wernt wanted the attackers were parrot fish but i gave them to a pet store as they started on the other fish x

It looks like a platty. I would just keep an eye on him, make sure that nothing else picks on him, and see if you can keep him away from lots of moving water if he is having trouble swimming.

I have had a rasbora have his back tail completly eaten by disease, have him barely able to swim, then have him come back and live for another few years after I cured the fin rot problem. It was so bad that when another fish swam by him, he spun in circles because he was in such bad shape. He was my favorite fish ever, because I loved his survival factor.

Just try and be patient with him, and make sure he does not develop any other disease like fin rot, or some sort of fungus. It is common for a fish with damage to develop another disease. Make sure that he does not get sick, and if he does, you should immediately move him to a quarentine tank to make sure he does not pass his issues to other healtier fish. As sad as it sounds, one fish is not worth your whole tank, but that is what a quarentine tank is for. Also keep an eye on your other fish because when there is a weak fish, it is also pretty common for the other fish to gang up on the injured fish and kill it.

If you do not have one, you should. An easy quarentine tank to get is a small 10g setup from like walmart for 30$ or so with filter, etc. You do not need a light, and it should come with a cheap heater/filter. If you do not have one, christmas is coming up, makes an easy gift request. :) Just my advise.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it is helpful.

Thanks least i know what they are but unfortunately my poorly one died but the other one is ok and getting on with his tankmates x

Dawn070 said:
Thanks least i know what they are but unfortunately my poorly one died but the other one is ok and getting on with his tankmates x

Aww I'm sorry for you! ;( hopefully the other one will he okay !

Back
Top Bottom