Need an all glass top but don't know where to go!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I'm fed up with my cheap plastic 20gallon high top that came with my aquarium. I have upgraded the lights and I'm getting poor plant growth because it all comes in through the 3" plastic strip. I also would like a better seal so that moisture (and thus heat) stays in since its becoming fall.

I have a HOB, heater, and powerhead that needs to be able to have access out the back, and would like it to hinge at the front for feedings/PWC's.

Anyone have a good (and inexpensive) place that would have exactly what I'm looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Drs Foster and Smith also ship them. It comes with a plastic strip that you can put on the back and then cut holes for your HOB, but you don't have to use the strip. I don't use it on my 29g and I've never had a fish try to jump out. The glass top fits nicely in front of the HOB.

www.thatpetplace.com sells them and there is another online company that I ordered from but they had very poor customer service and I wouldn't recommend them. I think Dr. Fosters also sells them.

I'd check petsmart, petco, and petland. I've found them there before, you just have to ask about them. They're usually fairly well hidden, and without asking it's kind of hard to find them sometimes.

Petland keeps them in an area above the livestock. Now how was I supposed to see that?

Yeah, most pet stores should carry them, especially if you have any fish-only stores in your area. I recently bought a 20" long one (for my 10g), which I think might be the same size you need for your 20g high. I paid $12.99 for it at a non-chain LFS.

Do you just rest your lighting tubes on the glass? Doesnt that heat it up any?

You can rest it on the glass, or if you use a fixture that has legs, like the Coralife Aqualights, it just keeps the fish in. :)

Before I got legs to my 48" Aqualight on the 55g, I rested it on top and it didn't heat it up too bad. It got a little warm, but didn't cause any problems.

You could also go to a local glass cutter and give them specs on your tank's dimensions...That's what I did for a ten gallon hex I had- worked perfectly and cheaply too! I remember when they asked me what it would be used for, I sheepishly replied a fish tank, and the girl laughed and said, its cool- you'd be surprised how many orders we get for those! Anyway, another idea on the same lines is to get two pieces cut lenghtwise, so that you could put like tape or plastic sheath to connect the two- that way you could open the front portion of the lid!

Petsmart has All-Glass tops. Check around the lighting section. Sometimes Petco has them too.

Your local Petsmart carries Perfecto (Marineland) glass canopies. Thats what your looking for. I have 3 of them, and the plastic strip is clear (some are colored) so the light shines trhough.

Back
Top Bottom