Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

need an opinion...

this link-
http://oddballfish.com/fishdetail.mv...3289+glram_reg

the picture here looks identical to what i purchased in my lfs. I bought two, at 1.99 didnt figure i could go wrong. They are deffinately Gold Rams, but my lfs says that they are Angel Rams. I told her that she was on crack, but she showed me the shipping invoice.

The opinion... Is there such a thing as an Angel Ram or is she on crack?

10gal FW- quarantine tank
50gal FW- Filstar XP2- 2 gold rams/3 juli's, 3 paleatus/ 2 oto's/ 6 fancy guppies/ 5 ghost shrimp, mts.fish--6 Neon Gourami-2 Sunshine Gourami-10 Longfin Rosy Barbs-1 Chinese butterfly fish-1 kooli loach-1 red tail shark
10gal hosp, 29 gal island tank, 50 gal tree trunk tank.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #2

welll she showed you the invoice and thats what they go by, i wouldn't say she was "on crack" i would just say that she was uneducated and was just going by what she was told. They ordered it as an "Angel Ram". I don't know what it is but maybe like the raibow shark and red finned shark, thats just two different names for the same thing.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Different stores call fish different names. It's kind of like some stores call the common pleco the Trinidad pleco. Its the same fish, just different names. The breeder that she uses may call them Angel Rams.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

After searching for Angel Rams, it appears that there is indeed a hybrid Angel Ram. The angel ram is actually a long fined ram. I don't know if it is actually what you have though.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Cichlid,%20Rams.htm

55 Gallon Community
Old 08-26-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ordered some marbled hatchet from my lfs once. They were clearly not marbled, but that is what they came in as. And what I was charged for.
My male blue ram seems to be the long fin variety, I didn't know about the "angel ram" name though.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
After searching for Angel Rams, it appears that there is indeed a hybrid Angel Ram. The angel ram is actually a long fined ram. I don't know if it is actually what you have though.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Cichlid,%20Rams.htm
Yes, but the long-finned rams, no matter what they are called, are not that hybrid....just a long-finned variety.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Toirtis- I read on a website that there is a hyrbid of the angel and ram. They called it an Angel Ram. I don't think it's the same one that I linked to. Is this even possible?

55 Gallon Community
Old 08-29-2005, 06:18 PM   #8

ok well the fish i have are gold rams, they are just 3/4" long though... kinda odd. Will borrow a camera and post a pic. Those long fins are hideous.

50gal FW- Filstar XP2- 2 gold rams/3 juli's, 3 paleatus/ 2 oto's/ 6 fancy guppies/ 5 ghost shrimp, mts.fish--6 Neon Gourami-2 Sunshine Gourami-10 Longfin Rosy Barbs-1 Chinese butterfly fish-1 kooli loach-1 red tail shark
Old 08-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

common names are just that. All types of fish are commonly known by different names at various locations. Just because this dealer labelled their fish with a different common name doesn't mean they are "on crack." It is just a common name. Now, if they were trying to give your ram a totally different scientific name, then that is another story. But that isn't the case.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had this same discussion a while back. One of the not so local stores in my area were selling angel/ram hybrids as well. I posted about them on here and was told it's not possible but it seems odd that the impossible are popping up more. I didn't bother to do much research since I wasn't interested in purchasing them but, the only other place I did see them talked about was a ram forum. Good luck with your new fish.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:30 AM   #11
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff
I had this same discussion a while back. One of the not so local stores in my area were selling angel/ram hybrids as well. I posted about them on here and was told it's not possible but it seems odd that the impossible are popping up more.
I have seen photos of what are claimed to be these hybrids...and they really should not be possible, based on current taxonomy, but it is possible that taxonomic revisions may be necessary if these turn out to be valid hybrids. Even so, I would imagine that they would need to be artificially produced, as mating a mature female angel and a mature male M. ramirezi would probably be non-feasable.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #12

ok, "on crack" might have been a bit harsh... Got the camera will post tomorrow night. Gonna put three of what ever they are then in the 50.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com