Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need assistance deciphering my water parameters with the API master test kit

I tested my tap water with the following results. What does it all mean? My goal is to set up a 55g community tank with some live plants.

PH: 7.6
High PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

GH: 14 drops needed to turn from orange to green
KH: 9 drops needed to turn from blue to yellow

Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have fairly hard water, is it well water?

Ph should be ok, have some nitrates the tap but live plants should take care if that.

It depends on what type of fish your wanting to keep. Cichlids requirements are for a approximately 8 ph. If you want fish that require softer water you can cut your tap water with ro water. Mixing tap/ro water will reduce hardness but also lower ph.

Whatever you decide to keep, research their requirements. Ph is hard to change except with ro water. Even after using ro water for a year my ph is 7.5, down from 8+, but I have to add minerals to the water. Do not use ph reduction chemicals, they are only temporary and the ph swing is dangerous to fish. Many just keep fish whose requirements match their water.

Research is your friend, we will be here to help.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the info. The tap water isn't well water. I'm planning on keeping small fish. Livebearers and schooling fish are what I had in mind. Would those work well with my water parameters?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was keeping livebearers in water similar to that and they were thriving. The platys were great but I lost some swordtails. But there may have been something else with them.

I switched to ro water and the swordtails have thrived but I now lose an occasional platy. Trying to find the optimum ratio now. I changed to ro to keep softer water fish, but would recommend just trying with what you have.

Tags
api, ate, meters, parameters, ram, tan, test, test kit, water, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com