Need canister filter advice for a 46 gal bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbd517

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All :) We have a 46 gal. bowfront tank, that we are about to set up again (we got it for 2 koi-sized goldfish who've since gone to that giant toilet in the sky...) with the prettiest tropicals we can find. Our problem is filtration. We have 2 Millenium 2000, which never satisfied us (we've also had just about every hang on power filter ever made!), and the guy at PetSmart said that they went out of business, so we can't even get filter media for them anyway. We're looking into canister filters, and are having a hard time deciding which is best. We keep looking at the Fluval 404 (yes, that's a lot of overkill for a 46 gal tank, but considering we can buy them brand new for $90 instead of $150, it's a good thing). Can you guys please say what types of canister filters you have, and their respective pros/cons? I really appreciate any input you can give us- we really want to do this right this time. Any other general advice is also very welcomed :) Thank you all in advance :)

Go for the fluval 404 if you wish, I wouldn't worry about the overkill. The more filteration you have the better, plus koi/goldfish are messy eaters. They are ammonia producers. So the bigger filter will handle the mess for you.

Just my opinion.... 8)

I couldn't really comment on the new models of Fluvals other than I like the looks of them. I have an older model on a 29g tank than has been running trouble free for years...they are good filters. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 404.

I have the older model running on my 55 gallon currently. I have had this filter running non stop for 5 years now. Just follow the manufacture instruction and you will be fine. (of course I shut it off to clean it monthly) It has been used in different setup and they all worked great.

I am currently using it now for my fish only, saltwater setup. Have used it for turtle tank, freshwater (cold and warm water) and brackish in the past. :lol:

I just got a Magnum 350 and its seems to be working good. It came with 2 bio-wheels for around 100 bucks.

I have ordered a Magnum 350 with bio wheel also. I am going to run it with a whisper filter made for 30-50 gallon tanks. I am glad to hear yours is working well Ryan :)

A brief summary of my experiences with various canisters :D

-Magnum: I never really had a problem with the magnum, it always ran well, , but I just didn't feel that it was as versatile as the "conventional" multi chamber canister.

-Filstar: The filstar was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. I didn't like the modular return piping which always seem to fall apart, or the way it needed to be primed. The final straw was when the top of the casing cracked (The actual motor housing!) and sent about 15g of water onto my floor.

-Fluval: The fluvals are nice units for the price. Lots of different trays for different media choices, and I liked how they included the separate foam strips leaving all the baskets open for other media. Left plenty of room for ceramic rings, poly floss, and peat. Only complaints are that even with the self-priming plunger they could sometimes be a pain to get going, and the plunger is pretty flimsy and easy to snap off :oops:

-Eheim: Definitely my favorite canister filter of the bunch. They dont move as much water as some of the other brands, but their output also seems to be more consistent as time goes on, "slow and steady" :D Quick and easy to get set up and prime and incredibly quiet. The professional models are very nice but quite pricey. They also offer an integrated heater option which I like.

Cliffs Notes:

Fluval is the best bang for the buck, Filstar is junk, and Eheim is great if money isn't an object.

Back
Top Bottom