Need Driftwood Help ASAP!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone its been awhile since i have been on here, but i need some help. I recently bought some dw from a local petco. the wood was submerged with no signs of disease on the wood or in the tank. i rinsed them off before i added them to my tank. i have had it since thursday and havent noticed any problems until now. there is a black fungus covering one peice and the other two have some patches. i have no idea what it is or if it will harm my fish, but i need solid info as my fish are very important to me. any help is appreciated. sorry that i cannot provide a picture but the quality is so bad that you cant tell.

Its probably some type of Algae. If you have algae eaters it might provide a source of food for them.

what kind of driftwood? Petco may have "reptile wood" that is not intended for aquariums, although I would hope they sell some standard type like manzanita or mopani.

My piece of wood was mopani that I ordered on Drs Foster & smith online for like $6.99, a third of the price it sells for at my lfs. It took 6-7 days of boiling in a big stock pot with constant water swapping to leach the dark tannins (mostly) out. I figure all the boiling was a good way to sterilize the wood, to some degree..

I would try boiling your wood, but only because that's the advice I heard from many people about mopani. I also was told that some "bacterial blooms" will appear and just eventually die out, I found two tiny white specks that look like lone spilled cottage cheese curds on the wood, so far they aren't growing or shrinking much in a fortnight.

Back
Top Bottom