Need feedback please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treym563

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I have been fishless cycling my 55gallon for over a month now. I run an emperor biowheel filter. I recieved one or the four filter pads off another cycled tank as well as a biowheel off a cycled tank. I have been able to dose ammonia to 4ppm+ and have it go to 0 after a short while, sometimes even under 12 hours. To me this seemed really good, and I figured my cycle was well on it's way. I saw nitrItes for a couple weeks now and over the last weekend my nitrItes started coming up as 0. After getting dosing ammonia and it going to 0 and getting 0 nitrItes for about 4 days straight I decided my tank was cycled, and ordered my fish. My fish are coming tomorrow and so I decided to do a large water change, around 90%, to bring my nitrAtes down and get my tank ready for my fish. I did the water change about 6 hours ago and now I'm getting high nitrItes again, what the heck?!?! I thought my tank was cycled, do I need to wait longer till I test for nitrItes? Did the large water change mess with my readings in some way? I have about 200 dollars worth of fish coming and I don't want to dump them into a tank with super high nitrItes and lose all of them...I don't know what to do! What are my options if my nitrItes don't go down by the morning? I have a 20 gallon tank that isn't cycled, could I just put them in there and do very large water changes multiple times a day until my big tank shows 0 nitrItes? I'm kinda freakin out here

treym563 said:
Hey guys, I have been fishless cycling my 55gallon for over a month now. I run an emperor biowheel filter. I recieved one or the four filter pads off another cycled tank as well as a biowheel off a cycled tank. I have been able to dose ammonia to 4ppm+ and have it go to 0 after a short while, sometimes even under 12 hours. To me this seemed really good, and I figured my cycle was well on it's way. I saw nitrItes for a couple weeks now and over the last weekend my nitrItes started coming up as 0. After getting dosing ammonia and it going to 0 and getting 0 nitrItes for about 4 days straight I decided my tank was cycled, and ordered my fish. My fish are coming tomorrow and so I decided to do a large water change, around 90%, to bring my nitrAtes down and get my tank ready for my fish. I did the water change about 6 hours ago and now I'm getting high nitrItes again, what the heck?!?! I thought my tank was cycled, do I need to wait longer till I test for nitrItes? Did the large water change mess with my readings in some way? I have about 200 dollars worth of fish coming and I don't want to dump them into a tank with super high nitrItes and lose all of them...I don't know what to do! What are my options if my nitrItes don't go down by the morning? I have a 20 gallon tank that isn't cycled, could I just put them in there and do very large water changes multiple times a day until my big tank shows 0 nitrItes? I'm kinda freakin out here

Did u add ammonia after ur big water change? If u did give it 24 hours if ammonia and nitrite dropped to 0 and end up with 20ppm nitrate then u are cycled!

I added a tiny bit of ammonia after I did the large WC just to keep the bacteria fed until the morning, I think that was a big mistake. I also made the mistake of adding TOO much dechlorinator, approximately twice as much as I should have (I read the directions wrong). Do you think what's happening is the ammonia I put in there after i did the large WC is just still being converted to nitrAte? The fish will be here in about 8 hours should I just do a huge water change and not add any ammonia?

treym563 said:
I added a tiny bit of ammonia after I did the large WC just to keep the bacteria fed until the morning, I think that was a big mistake. I also made the mistake of adding TOO much dechlorinator, approximately twice as much as I should have (I read the directions wrong). Do you think what's happening is the ammonia I put in there after i did the large WC is just still being converted to nitrAte? The fish will be here in about 8 hours should I just do a huge water change and not add any ammonia?

No just wait and see. And i don't think adding double dose of dechlorinated wouldn't harm ur bacteria. Wait and see if Ur nitrite goes down. If not u just have to do pwc daily.

The tank was seeded you added plenty of ammonia, if there is a nitrite mini cyle left it should not be long. As Hubert says test and a few water changes and you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom