Need fish identified! please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cb172635

Aquarium Advice Regular
i went to my local aquarium store and the employee there was new and very inexperieced with fish( so am i) but ended up buying a few fish from him because i thought they were nice looking fish. i just need to know the name of them so i can further look into specialized treatment and what not.

Attachments

• 20140310_210229_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20140310_210229_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 20140310_204811.jpg
    20140310_204811.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 103
i went to my local aquarium store and the employee there was new and very inexperieced with fish( so am i) but ended up buying a few fish from him because i thought they were nice looking fish. i just need to know the name of them so i can further look into specialized treatment and what not.

Hello cb and may I formally welcome you to the Aquarium Advice community! Sorry saw those pics after the fact! you have a male (I think) golden wonder killifish, very personable fish and easy to care for. I have one myself and lover her to death.

thanks for the welcome and i just did.. took me a sec to figure it out haha

Yeah! My golden wonder is amazing and she's buckets of personality, always begging for food! What size tank do you have him in? Does he have any tank mates and if so what are they? Thanks!

Golden wonder killy! So derpy :D i have one named ice cream and i trained him to sit in my hand XD

so hes a "golden wonder" huh? and hes in a 10 gallon with 3 other fish a cory cat and two other fish I haven't IDed yet... and yess hes doing the same on my end I don't know weather to keep feeding him or not.. seems a little bloated ive been feeding him regularly with the other fish

wow never thought fish would do that! butdoes anyone happen to know the name of the other one I have up there the black one with the orange tail highlight?

so hes a "golden wonder" huh? and hes in a 10 gallon with 3 other fish a cory cat and two other fish I haven't IDed yet... and yess hes doing the same on my end I don't know weather to keep feeding him or not.. seems a little bloated ive been feeding him regularly with the other fish

If one of those other fish is that red tailed shark seen in the first pic you're going to have issues.

I can attempt to ID those other fish if you would like! Also Cory cats generally should be kept in tanks of the size 20 gallons and like to be In groups of their own kind. What are you feeding him? I feed mine a nice high quality pellet and flake like Omega One shrimp pellets, New Life Spectrum freshwater sinking pellets and an Omega One freshwater flake. Your food may be what's causing it and if it's a lower quality food like Tetra or Wardly or something that may be the problem. If that's the case get him on some nice high quality foods like Omega One, New Life Spectrum and Hikari! You could cut down on his feedings (and switch foods if necessary) and if he's still bloated try feeding him some de shelled peas.

Yeah! My golden wonder is amazing and she's buckets of personality, always begging for food! What size tank do you have him in? Does he have any tank mates and if so what are they? Thanks!

If one of those other fish is that red tailed shark seen in the first pic you're going to have issues.

I don't think so im pretty sure hes a bottom feeder and hes pretty docile and keeps to himself.. sorry about the iffy pics ill try and get some god ones

I can attempt to ID those other fish if you would like! Also Cory cats generally should be kept in tanks of the size 20 gallons and like to be In groups of their own kind. What are you feeding him? I feed mine a nice high quality pellet and flake like Omega One shrimp pellets, New Life Spectrum freshwater sinking pellets and an Omega One freshwater flake. Your food may be what's causing it and if it's a lower quality food like Tetra or Wardly or something that may be the problem. If that's the case get him on some nice high quality foods like Omega One, New Life Spectrum and Hikari! You could cut down on his feedings (and switch foods if necessary) and if he's still bloated try feeding him some de shelled peas.

I am currently feeding him the new life spectrum which is pretty good with fiber content but I think the aquarium place wasn't and that's what messed him up a little bit:blink:

I am currently feeding him the new life spectrum which is pretty good with fiber content but I think the aquarium place wasn't and that's what messed him up a little bit:blink:

That's often what messes up a lot of fish! Glad to see you're feeding him the good stuff and not the low quality icky bad stuff! I think he'll clear right up with just a lowered feeding rate

thanks alot for the info and i got a couple of better pictures of the other fish if anyone can help

Attachments

• 20140310_233435.jpg
    20140310_233435.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20140310_233322.jpg
    20140310_233322.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 82
thanks alot for the info and i got a couple of better pictures of the other fish if anyone can help

Those pics are just fine. You have a red tail shark and a zebra danio! The zebra danios are active schooling fish that need 20+ gallons. Now I recommend either removing the red tail or upgrading your tank size as these get fairly large and extremely aggressive. Their aggression can be diluted with big tanks and tons of plants and territory however. When young they're very deceiving on their future personalities.

also here is a video its easier to see all the fish and gives you a little insight on their behaviors which i think is currently pretty normal outside the killy

Final warning. Your shark will likely kill your whole tank when it starts getting older. Do with that information as you will.

Watch out because they are great jumpers. I have one male that pretty much dominates the top of the tank when it's comes to food, if it can fit In his mouth it could possibly be food. I've seen ghost shrimp eaten whole( took a while to get it down but he did) when he was two inches, but he's very peaceful and would never attack another fish.

Back
Top Bottom