Need fish suggestions for my 33G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

resist-

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently preparing my 33g low tech planted stocking. Right now i'm planning to get:

12 neons
4 Panda corys
5 Dwarf Oto

But id' like to add 1 or 2 cool "showcase" fish...

At first I wanted to get kissing gouramis, but i heard 33g would be kinda small for them... Do you think i could keep 2 of them if i remove some neons and oto ?

Any other suggestions of nice looking fish i could add ?

I would keep the otos, maybe consider 3-4 instead of 5 if you have to cut back. They are good tank keepers. Panda corys are great. I vote less neons anyways...6-8 should be good. You might consider: powder blue or opaline Gourami, an Angelfish, fancy guppies, or rosy barbs (long-finned are nice).

Not suggesting getting all of those, just putting out some fish to consider :). Fun fun.

Also, as long as you are okay with one day upgrading I think kissing gouramis and many larger fish will be fine in a 33g for quite a while. If you do not think you would upgrade to a bigger tank, better to consider some other fishies.

Thank you for the suggestions kai !

An angelfish would be perfect for me, but I read they could EAT my neons... Is that true ? Anyone has experience with that combo ?

Many people say if you buy the angelfish small enough and raise it with the neons, that it will identify them more as tankmates and less as food. Of course instinct is against you because I think angels naturally snack on neons in the wild.

Hum maybe I should replace neons by cardinal tetras, they seem to get better with angelfish !!!

I had one neon in the tank with my angels for about 6 months while they were still small themselves. They never seemed to notice the neon and then one day they ate him. Angels get to be fairly big. They eat things that are smaller than them by relative size. So, in short, yes they can get along for a while, but don't expect it to last forever. In my current tank I can't keep anything bite size for them. They even ate a full grown male guppy a month ago, the last of its kind. Now all that remains is a rubberlipped pleco and the oto cats. They don't seem interested in the otocats. I imagine it is more because they occupy different space in the tank and otos stay stationary more often than not and do not attract their attention.

But yes, cardinal tetras might be a better choice. Just watch out for any fin nipping.

Pearl gouramis would do well in that setup. You could probably get by with a trio (1M/2F).

I have a flame dwarf gourami and he is the funniest little fish! He started out squirting water at me when I was feeding him. Now he has taken a liking to squirting at me whenever I walk by the tank! HAHAHA! When I am feeding him and the BGK, he will squirt water at the BGK too. He doesn't seem to care that Elvis is 3 times the size of him lol! But I also have a cobalt DG, and he is a grump! So I guess it just depends on the fish. But the whole point of this short novel was to tell you I think you should get some Dwarf Gouramis lol.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom