Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need fish that go with shrimp

So I got ten fre redshrimps like three weeks ago and they have slowly disapeared and I know only have two (never found bodies) but I need some fish to put in there as the tank just looks empty. The tank is a five gallon and I want some fish that would preferably not eat my shrimp

Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristenvadv View Post
So I got ten fre redshrimps like three weeks ago and they have slowly disapeared and I know only have two (never found bodies) but I need some fish to put in there as the tank just looks empty. The tank is a five gallon and I want some fish that would preferably not eat my shrimp
In short, there aren't any. The only fish that's commonly kept in the hobby that is safe for shrimp would be an Oto cat which needs a bigger tank than a 10g. Your best bet is to get enough shrimp to start breeding and then keep a fish like a betta in there. Some will get eaten but they breed fast enough to keep populated.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you have a decent amount of plant cover (especially java moss), you can keep various small fish with shrimp. Yes, some shrimplets will get eaten, but enough will survive, and the adults won't get bothered.

Mine bred successfully in a tank with endlers, kuhli loaches, threadfin rainbows, clown killifish and a bulldog pleco.

I have since added scarlet badis, and I think they may be eating all the shrimplets. Or the new shrimplets are still too small to see. But the adults are fine.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlon11 View Post
If you have a decent amount of plant cover (especially java moss), you can keep various small fish with shrimp. Yes, some shrimplets will get eaten, but enough will survive, and the adults won't get bothered.

Mine bred successfully in a tank with endlers, kuhli loaches, threadfin rainbows, clown killifish and a bulldog pleco.

I have since added scarlet badis, and I think they may be eating all the shrimplets. Or the new shrimplets are still too small to see. But the adults are fine.
You're right, shrimp do LOVE moss. Also, the more plant cover / safe spots the safer they will be. However in this instance none of those fish suggestions will work as the tank is only 5 gallons.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my opinion, you could add a small group of chili rasboras or celestial pearl danios.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
You're right, shrimp do LOVE moss. Also, the more plant cover / safe spots the safer they will be. However in this instance none of those fish suggestions will work as the tank is only 5 gallons.

You can't keep a scarlet badis in a 5g? I've read around you could have a pair and they'd be fine.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can but they could eat smaller shrimp and require small live foods to stay alive.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not much chance of keeping small shrimp and fish in a 5g. Just not enough space for the shrimplets to hide. I have a very heavily planted 60g with lots of CRS and mainly tetras. The CRS colony is stable at about 30-50 (hard to be certain) and every now again a really small shrimp makes it past the early days so the predator/prey balance is working. The fish don't worry any shrimp that won't fit in their mouths.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ah, I missed that it's only a 5 gallon tank. That's too small for most fish. You could keep a scarlet badis in there, but only if you're willing to supplement with small live foods, or at least frozen. They don't eat flakes or pellets.

Maybe CPD or some kind of micro rasbora, but I've never kept them so can't offer any advice.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402361971.534125.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	239931
This is about all I'd recommend.

Tags
fish, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com