Need for airstone/air pump in a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttw1223

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a water pump and a over sized power filter (its for 75/in 55)... Do I need an air stone and air pump?
-Thanks You Guys

How strong is the current? Usually you do not *need* an air stone, but people sometimes suggest using them because it puts more air in the water.

The current is pretty strong, the fish like to swim against it a lot! Is that necessary though?? Would most people recommend it?

If you have sufficient surface agitation then no airstone is needed. Usually it's only needed if your filter output is so far underwater the surface barely moves

Airstones

I have a water pump and a over sized power filter (its for 75/in 55)... Do I need an air stone and air pump?
-Thanks You Guys

Hello ttw...

A power filter rated for a 75 G in a 55 is plenty of filtration and gas exchange. The airstone makes very small bubbles and does little to really move the water's surface. If you want to up the surface movement, use the air pump and attach a length of plastic tubing to it. Run the tube without the airstone down the side of the tank to the bottom and attach it with a small suction cup. The much larger bubbles will definitely move the surface water.

B

Back
Top Bottom