need formula to calculate gallons/litres for this tank shape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
also what is the name of this shape?

cube-bayfront.jpg

img_643972_1_c27206c54266330d89be39ec1575e3d2.jpg

thanks

It is a quadrilateral prism.

One way to do it is to first treat it as if it had the base of a rectangle, get that volume, then substract the volume of the front two corners. It may help to place the tank on some paper and trace its shape, then use a ruler to make the base like a rectangle (a standard tank). Lets assume you're measuring in centimeters.

So, take the length * width * height of the tank as if it is a regular tank. Call this Volume 1.

Then take the area of the pictured red section and multiply this by the height for area. Assuming the left and right area is the same, the volume for both is h * b * height. Call this Volume 2.

Volume 1 - Volume 2 = Tank volume in cubic centimeters.

To convert to gallons and liters:

Tank volume in cubic cm / 3785 = Tank gallons

Tank volume in cubic cm / 1000 = Tank liters

HTH

Attachments

• cf91090c_167.jpg
    cf91090c_167.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 306
I was stumped for the shape. If you know one or the other, there are
4.546 litres to every gallon or 0.220 gallons to every litre

Heh, sorry. You know its time to call it a night when you think four sides instead of six ;) Calling it an irregular or "flat" hexagonal prism would describe the whole aquarium shape, not just the footprint/base. That is a great site.

czcz said:
Heh, sorry. You know its time to call it a night when you think four sides instead of six ;) Calling it an irregular or "flat" hexagonal prism would describe the whole aquarium shape, not just the footprint/base. That is a great site.

not to worry :)
thanks for all the help!

I wanted to know the name of the shape/design because I wanted to see which companies sell that design and compare the prices.

here are some places that sell them and their most common sizes

http://www.thepetstop.com/fish_shop/Aquariums/Tenecor/aqfbha.htm
http://www.aquadirect.com/catalog/aquariums/flatbackhex.htm

Back
Top Bottom