Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigFish.LittleFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am reasonably new to tropical fish and have started getting problems with alge growth in my tank. Can anyone give me pointers in how to stop the alge spreading.

It's different Alge to what I normally see, it's like a mini plant (almost grass) but only grows about 10mm high and then spreads! It's not normal green alge, it more black!

I no phosphates are a contribution to alge, so what is the best thing to get to test this. Also how long do u recommend the fish light should be on in one day to give my fish and live plants the best lighting.

Any suggestions?

Can you give post a pic of this algae. The 4hrs on 4hrs off has really worked with many members.

Not a great picture but it the best I can get. The alge has attached itself to one of my live plants so much I can't see the plant anymore

Attachments

• image-3837339891.jpg
    image-3837339891.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 77
That looks like BBA, black beard or brush algae. That can be a tough one to get rid of. I would remove as much as you can. Squirting Excel on it will kill it, be careful though not too much at a time.

When I had BBA it never grew on the gravel like that. Mainly covered the plants in my tank. Maybe a pic of the affected plant?

As you can see I have tried to get some off and damaged the plant, this is why I wanted help. The plant has lovely new growth but give it a few days and the plant will be covered again

Attachments

• image-3697476263.jpg
    image-3697476263.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 57
BBA is caused by fluctuating or low CO2 levels. Flourish Excel will kill it. I would trim the badly damaged leaves off of that plant and then start a daily attack with the Excel. Do you have any CO2 supplementation? How much light and what size tank?

I don't have anything yet it was on my questions to ask what should I be getting. The lights are two 24wat t5s and on about 8 hrs a day at mo.
The tank is a 40g.

Yeah that looks like black brush algae on the plants. If you can't afford co2 or excel maybe introduce snails into your tank? I got some free ramshorns and malaysian trumpet snails from petsmart and they keep BBA in check for me. Then again you might not want to deal with a snail population.

Just to say thanks to the people who recommended excel, worked a treat and now have a health Algee free tank. Planting my tank heavier now I don't have to worry about BBA. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom