Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennzmom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am hoping someone can help. I have a lone fancy goldfish, he is at least 8, possibly 9 years old. He has been having swim bladder issues for about a year, he would be fine in the morning, then eat and flip upside down and stay that way until evening, when he would flip upright again. He otherwise seemed fine.

For about the last week, he has been upside down full-time. He is still excited to see me, still tries to get the food that I sprinkle in, but he is unable to feed much because he is upside down. I have been hand feeding him peas and his regular food. He is in a 7 gallon tank, with two filters- an Aquaclear 3 stage filter and a Tetra Whisper 20 gal filter. I change the water regularly and add the de-stress and de-chlorination meds each time. His body length is about 1.5 inches, and he is almost round with lots of pretty fins.

I would probably come to the conclusion that he is just old and passing on, but he still seems so happy and lively! If a fish can be good-natured, he is. He lets me handle him and I have been turning him upright to feed a couple of times a day.

Any information you can give me I appreciate. I really want to help my little guy. Thank you.

The goldfish is 8 years old and is 1.5 inches long??? Sounds like it is seriously stunted. I'm not a goldfish expert but I know that one goldfish alone needs a 30 gallon tank, and that most goldfish grow to be at least 8 inches long, some over a foot within a couple years.
Your little guy needs a muuuuch bigger tank. I'm surprised he has lived so long!
Posting your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels will help us help you. Usually when fish are kept in tanks that are too small, one or more of these levels become dangerously high, causing a variety of health problems.

The goldfish is 8 years old and is 1.5 inches long??? Sounds like it is seriously stunted. I'm not a goldfish expert but I know that one goldfish alone needs a 30 gallon tank, and that most goldfish grow to be at least 8 inches long, some over a foot within a couple years.
Your little guy needs a muuuuch bigger tank. I'm surprised he has lived so long!
Posting your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels will help us help you. Usually when fish are kept in tanks that are too small, one or more of these levels become dangerously high, causing a variety of health problems.

Oh no! I did not know. I feel so bad. Do you think it would help him now or do you think he's too far gone? I would hate to spend a lot of money and have it not help him (unfortunately, money is an issue right now.) =(

Welcome to AA!!

What type of food (besides peas) does he normally eat (brand, flake/pellet/stick, etc)? Can you please post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph)? Is he a regular fantail or another type of fancy?

For now, start by doing water changes daily with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Hand feed him only peas and other veggies (such as spinach, broccoli, zucchini, etc)- no regular food. Once we have a bit more information on your water quality and his normal diet, we can offer some additional suggestions! Please ask any questions as well! :)

Welcome to AA!!

What type of food (besides peas) does he normally eat (brand, flake/pellet/stick, etc)? Can you please post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph)? Is he a regular fantail or another type of fancy?

For now, start by doing water changes daily with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Hand feed him only peas and other veggies (such as spinach, broccoli, zucchini, etc)- no regular food. Once we have a bit more information on your water quality and his normal diet, we can offer some additional suggestions! Please ask any questions as well! :)

He eats Omega One small pellets for goldfish. I will test the water and get back to you a little later. This morning he gobbled up the peas, but was confused by the little pieces of kale I gave him. He did eat them out of my hand though. He's such a sweet little guy!

Unfortunately I can not afford a 20 gallon tank right now, but I can get a 10 gal. Do you think that would help?

Be back later with water testing results!! :fish1:

So I took a sample of my water to a local pet store and the guy there tested it for me. It was very very high in nitrates and in nitrites but the ammonia level was medium-low. He said to do 40% water changes every other day and to bring another sample in on Monday (tomorrow), so that's where we are. I am still hand feeding my fish, he will only eat peas, no spinach, kale, etc. He doesn't seem to have improved any. =(

If anyone has any more ideas, my ears are open!!

Ask him for the exact numbers of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so you can let folks here help you. You can do more than 40% changes--50% at least--and every day. Listen to jlk for great advice.

Sorry about your little guy; I hope he recovers and you can get him a larger home soon. As far as tank size, a 10 really isn't large enough (I learned that the hard way). Check Craigslist for used tanks. You should be able to find a 20 or even 29 gallon for less than a new 10 gallon one. Good luck!

Ask him for the exact numbers of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so you can let folks here help you. You can do more than 40% changes--50% at least--and every day. Listen to jlk for great advice.

Sorry about your little guy; I hope he recovers and you can get him a larger home soon. As far as tank size, a 10 really isn't large enough (I learned that the hard way). Check Craigslist for used tanks. You should be able to find a 20 or even 29 gallon for less than a new 10 gallon one. Good luck!

Great advice!

Please ask for specific numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph when you return with another tank sample. I would also bring a sample of your tap water that you use for water changes for testing to rule out it contributing to your tank numbers. If possible, pick up a bottle of Prime water conditioner, too.

In the interim, I would work on your water changes to drop your toxin levels as these are the main issue behind your fish being unwell. I honestly would change 50% a minimum of 2x a day.

A larger tank will give you some wiggle room in respect to wcs as toxins will not increase as rapidly. A used 20g is very reasonable or even consider using a plastic Rubbermaid type storage bin. A 20g bin typically runs about $5 at any discount store and can serve as an inexpensive tank option when someone is in need of a quick tank setup. Even larger bins (up to 50g) are less than $20. Just something else to consider! Please let us know how your parameters read and if you have more questions! :)

Thank you everyone. The pet store guy said he didn't want to shock the fish by doing too fast of water changes, but it doesn't seem to be helping enough. I will take in my water sample and a sample of the Crystal Geyser water I am using to refill. Thanks SO much for your help!

Okay, so the water changes I've been doing have been working, slowly but surely. Nitrates are 80ppm, nitrites are 1.0 ppm, ammonia is zero. Fishy is still on his side, but I can still handle him and hand feed him. He doesn't seem to have improved, but at least he's still hanging in there! Another water test on Sat. I will continue the water changes, and will probably step them up to every day. The Crystal Geyser water I refill with did not show any problems on testing, so it seems like a good choice for refills. Any other help you can give?

Why are you using bottled water (or is it store fill-your-own water)? If your tap water is safe for you to drink, it should be OK for your fish--unless it has a low pH. You really, really need to exchange at least half of his water every day. 80 ppm nitrates is extremely high and unsafe--it should not be over 20.

Bring in a sample of your tap water to be tested. If it is 7.0 pH or higher, just use that with a good dechlorinator like Prime. You will need to make the change slowly over several hours to let him acclimate to it. Using your tap water will save you money and make it easier to make changes more often.

Your sweet goldfish sounds adorable! Do you have a pic? I think fish have personalities and there are sweet friendly ones out there!

I do have a picture. My daughter was 7when we got him, and that is why his name is "Fishy." Very original, I know! =)

i thought his picture was on my profile, can you not see it? I will have to figure out why.

Wow, having read through the thread I feel bad for both you and the fish. Sadly there is soo much misinformation about goldfish care that both you and the fish fell prey to it :(

Honestly, if the daily water changes aren't cutting it I wouldn't hesitate to increase that to multiple daily water changes. I give it an hour between the changes and call it good at that. You can really do as many as you want in a day as the toxins in the water are more stressful than the changing of it.

I was going to touch on the usage of Rubbermaid bins but was beat to it. Another place you can pick up super cheap tanks is craigslist so that might be an option.

Yikes :( So sorry to hear about your fish! Every day I work, I have to explain to someone why you should not keep a goldfish in less than 20 gal. MINIMUM. Check out craigslist...sometimes you can find people giving things away for free. You can also check at community centers, libraries, pet stores, and science centers to see if there's a fish club in your area....they're usually good places to find some fish addicts looking to get tanks off their hands :)

If your little guy pulls though, consider re-homing him in a friends decorative pond when he's all well, if you can find one. Fan tails need lots of shade to prevent they're fins from burning, but the right pond conditions make a goldfish very, very happy.

At our store, we soak the fish food in water before using a turkey baster to "squirt" bits of it in the tanks - it prevents the fish from gulping air at the surface and prevents a lot of swim bladder complications.

Hi everyone, I just had my water tested again and I have the ammonia at zero, the nitrites at zero and the nitrates at 30 ppm. Fishy still spends all day upside down. I use my hand to flip him over and feed him by hand as well. He eats right out of my fingers. He's still such a good-natured little guy! I am hoping he can recuperate now that the water parameters are good. Maybe if he recuperates and seems stronger, I can upgrade my tank. Right now, I unfortunately can't afford it, but hoping to be able to within a month or so. Anyone have any other ideas, or is it just a waiting game at this point? And just to let you all know, I REALLY appreciate all of your help! Thank you so much!

Hi everyone, I just had my water tested again and I have the ammonia at zero, the nitrites at zero and the nitrates at 30 ppm. Fishy still spends all day upside down. I use my hand to flip him over and feed him by hand as well. He eats right out of my fingers. He's still such a good-natured little guy! I am hoping he can recuperate now that the water parameters are good. Maybe if he recuperates and seems stronger, I can upgrade my tank. Right now, I unfortunately can't afford it, but hoping to be able to within a month or so. Anyone have any other ideas, or is it just a waiting game at this point? And just to let you all know, I REALLY appreciate all of your help! Thank you so much!

Fancies can actually live with buoyancy issues for many years. It's more distressing for us to see a fish swimming or resting upside, sideways or on the bottom. If he seems otherwise healthy and attentive to his surroundings and is eating well (with your help), just keep up the good work on frequent wcs and ensuring he is able to eat.

The bigger buoyancy issues with fancies are floaters and sinkers. Overly buoyant fancies will have an area of their body constantly exposed to air resulting slime coat degradation and infection. Similarly, an under buoyant fancy that bottom sits constantly will have slime degradation and develop pressure ulcers and infections. A fancy that flips over or somersaults is not as big of a health concern. Hope this helps a bit!

Back
Top Bottom