Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got some rocks for my 50G crayfish tank is there any way to prepare them to go into the tank I also heard some rocks change water conditions please help I don't know what to do

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439586497.614213.jpg

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

A good test for rocks is to simply put some vinegar on them. If it bubbles, then the rock has calcite/minerals in it. They can harden the water and raise the pH. This isnt even necessarily a bad thing, depending on what fish are present in the tank. For crayfish, it may even be beneficial for shell growth/hardness.

How is your water straight from the tap in regards to pH/hardness?

That appears to be sandstone, and I have heard mixed results on using it in aquariums, as it can contain a lot of different metals and minerals. If you want to try it, you should consider that vinegar test. You also want to then consider leaving it in a bucket of water for a couple weeks, and testing that water to see if it changes its chemistry.

Where did you get the rock from? If you bought it at a fish store, then I would hope it would be safe to use.

Interested to hear what other people have to say about it.

I can't wait to see what other people say

Could I use lava rocks from the pet store

just to clarify, when i said pH/hardness, I was not implying they were one and the same. do you know if you have hard or soft water?

Back
Top Bottom