need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Next week I will finally be able to purchase my new fish. I am really excited. For my 29 gal. tank I was planning on getting 1 dwarf gourami, 7 neon tetras, and 4 platies. I am worrying about the neons though. I have read that they are not very hardy. Is this true? Will they live through some of my mistakes? Is there another small fish that would go with the platies and gourmi? I don't like the other type of tetras, but I really like the livebears! Please help..I am worried!!

Sounds good to me. As long as you get your neons from a reputable LFS, and preferably after they have been in the store for a few days, you'll be fine. They CAN be not hardy, they can also be very hardy.

Have you had the tank set up and cycled? If so the neons should be fine, providing you do regular water changes. If not I would highly recommend a fishless cycle.

I have not put water in it yet. I am doing that hopefully moday or tuesday. I will let the tank run for a week(put in the live plants) and then go get my 4 platies to cycle. I will cycle to tank. I will then go get my 7 neons to put in mu 10 gal. Q tank. THen I will wait 2 weeks to go get my gourami.

Would it be better to set up BOTH aquariums at the same time and put 2 platies in each?

thanks

Hi! I always keep neons... some livng 2 yrs! I don't know their actual life span, but they all seemed to die of old age.

Make sure what you buy are healthy stock and SLOWLY acclimate them to a properly well aged/cycled tank and you should be fine.

They are great!

Congrats on the new 29g set up :) Pics?

Back
Top Bottom