Need Help ASAP - Broken Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

I was cleaning the glas of my 10 gal and the thermometer broke. Some of the little balls fell in to the aquarium. I used my gravel vaccum and sucked it all out. What else should I do?

Juster

This is almost definitely an alcohol thermometer, so I'd suggest a hefty water change and get the stick-on liquid crystal type of thermometer that goes on the outside.

Did you just break the outer glass, or did you also break the inner glass bulb that holds the red liquid? If it was just the outer glass, then you already did all you really need to.

If you also broke the inner bulb, you should probably do a massive water change (50%) today and tomorrow. Most aquarium thermometers contain a non-toxic alcohol-based indicator liquid. If it got into the tank, I would dilute it out with water changes just to be safe.

My firemouth once broke the outer glass of his thermometer, spilling all the little balls. :roll: I didn't realize it for a few days, then I did a major gravel vac. I'm not even sure that he didn't eat some of the little balls. Anyway, he never showed any ill effects and continues to be his boisterous, psychotic self. :twisted:

You may think about purchasing a digital thermometer. I invested in one about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. It's acurate and I never have to worry about it breaking and sending anything hazardous into the tank. I got mine for about $8.

Thanks all,

Only the outer glass was broken at the very bottom. I did not see any of the liquid getting out. Had me a bit scared though.

Fishyfanatic said:
You may think about purchasing a digital thermometer.

I agree, the digital thermometer is great. I lucked out and got mine free when I ordered my pc light fixture. If I had to pay for one, I certainly would. No guessing with the digital.

The balls are safe...just remove them...the indicating fluyid is primarily alcohol, and there is so little of it (like less than 1ml), that even without the water change, it is highly unlikely to affect your fish....so no worries.

The stick-on sort of thermometers are notoriously inaccurate....go with a digital.

Lead or zinc, but even the lead cannot leach worth a darn into tank water in anything less than several weeks, and then only in fairly acidic water.

Back
Top Bottom