Need help choosing a canister filter please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SanderVitreus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I’ve narrowed my choice down to the fluval 406 and Eheim Pro 4 350.

I’d like your opinions on which would be the clear winner if you can.

Easy maintenance is one key feature I like. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I have 75 gallon tank.
Thanks in advance.

I'd say the Fluval. They have easier maintenance and I think they're a better brand in general tbh. Also I think they come with like a 2-3 year warranty on them so that's a bonus.

A little under a month ago if someone would have asked me what my filtration system was, I would have answered that it was a HOB Emperor 400 Filter. In early November, I also switched over to a canister filter and it was the best thing I have ever done..... I bought the Fluval 406 Canister filter. It was my first time with a Canister filter and let me tell you, being completely green, it was very easy to set up!!! The thing is amazing, it has a 4 stage filtration system, it comes with the media you will need to get started, and is super quite...... I love the thing and will never go back to a HOB

I was just looking at Hydor Pro last night. I think I'm going to try one when we set up our next tank.

Ok so while we're all here... How does a canister filter add oxygen to the water and not have the fish like die from lack of oxygen because under the water level there's no exchange right? Like live plants would help but then at night they'd take oxygen. Right? If someone could explain that'd be great thanks haha :)

That’s a good question. To be honest I don’t know how it does it

You have the outlet near the surface of the tank water. The water movement is how the gas is exchanged.

Here is a link showing my spray bar and the flow in the first 30 seconds.
https://youtu.be/CJ5d7tB-bTA

Last edited:
I too have the Fluval 406 and it works great, quite, and easy to clean. I have my spout near the top for aeration but had to turn the bubbles on to keep the biofilm from forming.

Back
Top Bottom