Need help clearing pond algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poseidon82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I went to my uncle's house whom I haven't seen in about 2 years. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw his algae infested backyard pond, which used to be crystal clear and gorgeous by the way. His health has declined and isn't able to keep it up and I desperately need to help him. It is stocked with around 40 fish, koi and goldfish. 10 to 18 inches in length and seem to be perfectly healthy. Pond is around 1500 to 2000 gallons. A waterfall on the other side but the pump is compromised and looks like it's only moving 200 gph. I plan on getting a new pump and filtration system is there anything I can do in the meantime because that isn't cheap. Please, any advice will be greatly appreciated! I didn't get a pic of the waterfall but I did get this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410315488.824513.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410315595.651304.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Algae is usually a result of excess nitrates or ammonia. since he hasnt been able to keep up with it and the pump is compromised, try testing his water and getting us some parameters.

Some people do water changes on their pond, others don't, but do whatever the maintenance schedule was before.

You should have some time to replace the filter given that pond has been relatively stable although unsightly.

Best of luck! - Raymond

You could use barely straw extract or actual barley straw in a mesh bag to deal with the green water. I did that a few years ago to deal with pea soup green water in a small pond. Been crystal clear since then.
Perhaps the pump needs a good cleaning. Any chance that the intakes are clogged? I used to order pond supplies from aquatic eco-systems out of FL years ago and found great deals on pumps (mag drive pumps).

Will do, I have an API freshwater master test kit so I'll check it, and I read an article on barley straw for algae so I will try to find some and set that up. Oh and yes I'm pretty sure the pump and hoses are clogged really bad so that will be a chore. I'm greatful for the feedback thanks guys

Would a pleco help? My lfs has one over a foot long. Or is that a bad idea. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410320015.207869.jpg

Not really a solution for the algae. Will just add to the bioload.
Is it string algae, clumps of algae, or green water. It may be an indicator that the fish population is too high. Is there a way to add floating plants to water fall section? Aggressive growing nutrient absorbing plants such as water hyacinth or water lettuce.
Probably the first thing to do is address the pump and tubing.

Definitely get the filter working right, that makes a huge difference. And I agree on the floating plants, blocking the light to the pond with plants will help keep the algae down as well.

You could use barely straw extract or actual barley straw in a mesh bag to deal with the green water. I did that a few years ago to deal with pea soup green water in a small pond. Been crystal clear since then.
Perhaps the pump needs a good cleaning. Any chance that the intakes are clogged? I used to order pond supplies from aquatic eco-systems out of FL years ago and found great deals on pumps (mag drive pumps).

My dads pond is in the same state. I started a thread on barley straw extract a bit back but know one had really used it.

Fresh did you use barely straw or the extract. I imagine the barley straw would take months to get working.

Also I know you can get some stuff that clumps the algae together so it can be netted but I believe some falls to the bottom. You can also buy sludge buster too to clear the bottom.

Do you want sludge at the bottom of a pond? Perhaps for denitrification? Or should it be clean? If it is to be removed, how do you remove it?

I've seen those Venturi hoovers you can get. Would one if those work?

Also I know you can get some stuff that clumps the algae together so it can be netted but I believe some falls to the bottom. You can also buy sludge buster too to clear the bottom.

Do you want sludge at the bottom of a pond? Perhaps for denitrification? Or should it be clean? If it is to be removed, how do you remove it?

I've seen those Venturi hoovers you can get. Would one if those work?

I used an extract. Dosage was weekly. It was early spring and water water green. Took several weeks to clear.
Yes, for the clumps I physically removed them. Same with the string algae.
In the fall I try to remove as many fallen leaves as I can. I have a small water lily in a tub. It's roots have overgrown the tub and occupy most of the bottom of the pond (btw is is 50-60 gallons). I had goldfish in there but a raccoon are them. I have mosquito fish in there now. The bioload is relatively small. I don't vacuum out the bottom.
I don't do water changes, however, the garden hose valve is leaky and I let it drip in the pond to top it off. I have a 500 gph pumping water from a course sponge and plastic prefilter to a foam filled down flow above pond filter. It runs 365/24/7.
Goldfish and koi will often (but not always) eat surface plants. I try to keep them protected from the fish using a plant basket or separate pond.

Ok so I cleaned the filter and pump, it is moving a little more water now but the impeller is shot so I will replace it as soon as I can. I also hooked him up with an air pump and large aquarium air stone I had so that should help some. I will try to clean the filter again tomorrow. I picked up a blue tarp from Kmart we will try to rig it up over head tomorrow. I have some algaefix but I'm not sure if it will do any good since most of the algae seems to be "free floating", seems like the filter should catch it as it is. My next question is will the algae die off during the winter or not. I will post pics when we get it cleaned up again. Thanks in advance. Adam

The algae should die off in the winter. It was during the spring when the temps would rise, the water would turn green. Has not done that for a few years now.
You could try a flocculant that should bind the small particles and make it easier for the filter to trap it.

A flocculant! What's the product name?
Never mind me I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom