Need help deciding on a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So now I'm torn between the 56 cube and the 60 gallon.

56 fits where I want it, but lighting could be an issue.

60 requires rearranging of my living room (which would make my hubby irritated I think).

Sigh.

I wish someone could just tell me what I needed. I have done as much research as I can and I still don't know squat it feels like.

Take what you've researched put it together into what you think might work the ask us with the combo like for instance x lighting set for x sized tank

I would get the tank you like, then deal with the lighting. Looks like the tallest tank you listed is just 24" tall. I think that is 2x the height your 20g, but it's not a bad thing. In fact it's a really nice tank. I wanted to get that size for my sons room b/c it's not that wide, but I couldn't justify putting a bigger tank in a child's room than we have in the living room:

Ok. The 56 cube with this light: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CMFFMS6/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_sw_em_r_am_ip_am_us

Possibly in conjunction with the kit light (not sure if I can use both). Or I can buy another light? I'm overwhelmed by lighting.

Want to use pool sand I think. Or Eco complete. Or fluval stratum. Will use root tabs to provide nutrients. And will dose with liquid co2 like I've been doing.

I have neons, platies, Cory's, endlers (being shipped to me as we speak). Want more platies. And maybe cherry barbs. Maybe dwarf gourami. I like having a lot of small fish right now until I get better at this hobby.

Ok. The 56 cube with this light: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CMFFMS6/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_sw_em_r_am_ip_am_us

Possibly in conjunction with the kit light (not sure if I can use both). Or I can buy another light? I'm overwhelmed by lighting.

Want to use pool sand I think. Or Eco complete. Or fluval stratum. Will use root tabs to provide nutrients. And will dose with liquid co2 like I've been doing.

I have neons, platies, Cory's, endlers (being shipped to me as we speak). Want more platies. And maybe cherry barbs. Maybe dwarf gourami. I like having a lot of small fish right now until I get better at this hobby.

I'm not sure LED is your best bet unless you don't mind spending a bit more $$. Check out this fixture. I have 2 dual bulb fixtures that are the same brand on a 40g breeder, only 16" tall, but it's more than enough. This fixture has a timer and blue LEDs for night time:

Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 4-Lamp 2-Lunar Aquarium Light, 30-Inch
http://amzn.com/B002LTL4SK

While we're talking about substrate as well, is it okay to put root tabs in play sand to add nutrients for roots?

Hello I have had both of these tanks. I would recomend the bowfront. It is beautiful (both are but I lean toward bows) and it will be easier to work with. It also looks bigger. With the 46 bow a cheap light will grow low light plants. With the 56 it will be harder.
BTW glass distortion is present but in my experience isnt bad enough to choose a different tank.

While we're talking about substrate as well, is it okay to put root tabs in play sand to add nutrients for roots?

Yes, in fact it's quite necessary for any sort of heavy root feeder (crypts, swords, etc) as sand is inert and will not hold nutrients itself.

Hello I have had both of these tanks. I would recomend the bowfront. It is beautiful (both are but I lean toward bows) and it will be easier to work with. It also looks bigger. With the 46 bow a cheap light will grow low light plants. With the 56 it will be harder.
BTW glass distortion is present but in my experience isnt bad enough to choose a different tank.

+1 I agree, I have a 100 gallon bowfront and there's a little distortion. It's not to terrible, but everyone is different! Choose what is best for you.

Yes, in fact it's quite necessary for any sort of heavy root feeder (crypts, swords, etc) as sand is inert and will not hold nutrients itself.

Thanks! I heard they cover over an area of sand. Is that true?

I'm not sure LED is your best bet unless you don't mind spending a bit more $$. Check out this fixture. I have 2 dual bulb fixtures that are the same brand on a 40g breeder, only 16" tall, but it's more than enough. This fixture has a timer and blue LEDs for night time:

http://amzn.com/B002LTL4SK

Thank you for the suggestion and help. That seems like a great light. I just measured my 20g and it's 16" tall and my chepo kit t8 single 18" bulb has kept my plants alive. So this cube will be 8" taller. Do you think I need to get the light you suggested? I mean it looks wonderful but do I need it? Just don't want to overkill. Will the LED fixture I ordered not end up being equal to the lighting I have now? If not, that is fine and i'll get the one you suggested! I only have swords and java fern. Oh and some moss. All low light plants. The fluffy and thin leaf plants all made a huge mess so I threw them away.

+1 I agree, I have a 100 gallon bowfront and there's a little distortion. It's not to terrible, but everyone is different! Choose what is best for you.

Interesting. My acrylic 20g bows from the water weight and I HATE the distortion. Gives me a headache. But I suppose it's not as bad with glass.

Which one is more kid proof???? I have a 3 and 1 year old.

Amazon.com: Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 4-Lamp 2-Lunar Aquarium Light, 30-Inch: Pet Supplies

Aquatic Life fixtures are great!

OP, you could also look at this one for more basic needs: Amazon.com: Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 2-Lamp Link Fresh Aquarium Light, 30-Inch: Pet Supplies

Actually, time out. My tank has zero distortion. It's regular glass too, not acrylic. The only thing I've noticed is an illusion of it looking a bit smaller with water in, even though its not. As far as kid proof, my tank is 55 inches tall including stand. I'm 5'8 and need a chair to reach in my tank. With water in it and sand, it's close to have a ton so it doesn't budge.

Thank you for the suggestion and help. That seems like a great light. I just measured my 20g and it's 16" tall and my chepo kit t8 single 18" bulb has kept my plants alive. So this cube will be 8" taller. Do you think I need to get the light you suggested? I mean it looks wonderful but do I need it? Just don't want to overkill. Will the LED fixture I ordered not end up being equal to the lighting I have now? If not, that is fine and i'll get the one you suggested! I only have swords and java fern. Oh and some moss. All low light plants. The fluffy and thin leaf plants all made a huge mess so I threw them away.

I don't think it's overkill, they are programmable, so you can find a good window. I can only keep mine on for 6 hours or else I get algae growth. 4 bulbs on a bigger/deeper tank may be even better.

There are better lights, but these are pretty nice.

My tank is roughly 22 to 24 inches deep and I'm getting a light fixture with T5 HO bulbs. Four of them at 6500k. It also includes 4 moonlight LED bulbs for night viewing.

I don't think it's overkill, they are programmable, so you can find a good window. I can only keep mine on for 6 hours or else I get algae growth. 4 bulbs on a bigger/deeper tank may be even better.

There are better lights, but these are pretty nice.

Ok cool! I'll send the other back then.

Back
Top Bottom