need help! fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i have a 36g bowfront that's been setup for more than a year. Idk why but my fish have been slowly dying. Parameters seemed fine when i tested earlier. I've lost 5 fish today. Idk what's happening.

somethingsfishy said:
Have you added any new fish to the tank?

Yeah, 4 albino cory catfish two days ago. Outta those 4 only 1 is alive now.

What are the exact numbers?
Have you added to taken anything away from the tank or filter?
Sprayed anything near the tank like fly killer?
Are they gasping?
When was the last water change?
Did you remember dechlorinator?
What temp is the tank?

Mumma.of.two said:
Do they have any signs of illness?
Fuzz? Red sores? Gasping? Flashing? Sunken or swollen bellies?

I just lost a black neon tetra and I see like red sores on the sides. But they were all fine yesterday or earlier.

Mumma.of.two said:
What are the exact numbers?
Have you added to taken anything away from the tank or filter?
Sprayed anything near the tank like fly killer?
Are they gasping?
When was the last water change?
Did you remember dechlorinator?
What temp is the tank?

Did filter maintenance yesterday as well as a water change and of course I added decblorinator. Haven't sprayed anything near it. The temp is at 76 degrees.

Just lost a glow light tetra. I noticed that they all have like red on the sides or bellies. All the ones I've lost.

So it's fast moving, appears within hours and it stated after the new fish where added? Sounds like they brought something into the tank. At the moment, I'm guessing, a fast moving bacterial infection of some sort.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM
See if anything matches from this (there is two pages).
If it is a bacterial infection first thing you need to do is turn the temp down to 70-72F, add salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water) and a large water change. Remove any fish showing signs of illness straight away to try avoid infecting others. Sterilize all gravel vacs, nets, etc that can cross contaminate to other tanks (if you have more).

Mumma.of.two said:
So it's fast moving, appears within hours and it stated after the new fish where added? Sounds like they brought something into the tank. At the moment, I'm guessing, a fast moving bacterial infection of some sort.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM
See if anything matches from this (there is two pages).
If it is a bacterial infection first thing you need to do is turn the temp down to 70-72F, add salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water) and a large water change. Remove any fish showing signs of illness straight away to try avoid infecting others. Sterilize all gravel vacs, nets, etc that can cross contaminate to other tanks (if you have more).

Everyone else seems fine but don't exactly what could happen. In the past 3 hours I've lost a total of 5 or 6 fish, including my awesome betta..

I'm sorry for your losses. :( start off with the steps I posted above. Are you in america or the UK? If your in america you will have access to antibiotics. They may needed. If your in the UK there is a product called MYXAZIN.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry for your losses. :( start off with the steps I posted above. Are you in america or the UK? If your in america you will have access to antibiotics. They may needed. If your in the UK there is a product called MYXAZIN.

I'm in America. I went to the link and found somethin close to what I've been seeing. I think It's Hemorrhagic Septicemia.

I know it's not good timing, but you should try to quarantine your fish before thy go into your display tank. It prevents any disease from entering the tank.

somethingsfishy said:
I know it's not good timing, but you should try to quarantine your fish before thy go into your display tank. It prevents any disease from entering the tank.

Yeah I know. I'll use my extra ten gallon for that, thanks.

fishdud said:
I'm in America. I went to the link and found somethin close to what I've been seeing. I think It's Hemorrhagic Septicemia.

Mmm it's shouldn't be contagious. I have a goldfish recovering from that. It's a bacterial infection of the blood so it could be a symptom of a really nasty bacteria. I'm not really familiar with medications available there but you could try a antibiotic that covers both gram positive and negative bacteria to give you the best chance of treatment.

Mumma.of.two said:
Mmm it's shouldn't be contagious. I have a goldfish recovering from that. It's a bacterial infection of the blood so it could be a symptom of a really nasty bacteria. I'm not really familiar with medications available there but you could try a antibiotic that covers both gram positive and negative bacteria to give you the best chance of treatment.

Okay thanks. It says from the site that ammonia spikes cause them but i don't have any ammonia?

It could have been on/in the new fish. They where stressed from the move so there immune systems where low. That let the bacteria/disease in. Once it gets to high enough numbers it starts infecting the other weaker fish in the tank (bullied/lowest in the peaking order). Disease can happen in healthy tanks but it's not as common as ones with issues.

Mumma.of.two said:
It could have been on/in the new fish. They where stressed from the move so there immune systems where low. That let the bacteria/disease in. Once it gets to high enough numbers it starts infecting the other weaker fish in the tank (bullied/lowest in the peaking order). Disease can happen in healthy tanks but it's not as common as ones with issues.

That's exactly what I was thinkin but I didn't know my fish were weak:( only one cory lived. The other fish seem fine and don't seem to have any redness on em.

Back
Top Bottom