Need help identifying organism...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tokay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon planted aquarium and I recently noticed very small whitish/transparent hydra-like growths on the walls of my aquarium and on the leaves of my plants. I am hesitant to say they are hydra because their tentacles are feathery, which seems to contrast with the more string-like tentacles I am more familiar with. On another forum I saw someone describe them as looking like a dandelion seed (fuzzy, feathery top with the slender stalk attached to glass or plant), which I think is a very good description... but unfortunately, nobody ever gave a good answer to that person (so here I am). They are quite small -- pinhead sized, and do not seem to retract their tentacles when I touch them (possibly because they are dead... I am not sure). Also, they do not appear to be colonial. I thought that they might be ectoprocts of some kind, but I cannot find any information regarding whether or not ectoprocts can even be found in freshwater aquariums. I also do not believe they are fungi since I do not see any sort of hyphae fibers on the glass. The inhabitants of my aquarium (3 pomacea snails and 7 ghost shrimp) seem to be happy and healthy, so I am not ready to declare them a real issue until I discover otherwise -- but I have been obsessing about their identity nonetheless. I know a picture would be infinitely helpful, but I do not have a camera capable of taking pictures of objects that small -- my apologies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom