Need help identifying this... growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jupgrl583

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I have tried my best to try and figure out what is all over my 10 gallon fish tank (freshwater) and have come here for some help. I've attached a photo. I first noticed it spreading a couple of weeks after throwing an algae pellet into the tank for my apple snails. Right now in the photo it's "crawling" along the air tube and transferring to the wall where the two happen to touch. Tomorrow, this patch will have migrated probably an inch or so away from that spot. I have patches of this stuff anywhere from dime-size to about a half-dollar in diameter crawling over anything it can. My snails don't seem to have any interest in eating it.

I've tried algae growth inhibitors (thinking it's some sort of algae??), scraping it from the walls, and siphoning up as much as I can, but I just can't get it to go away. It's been about a month of struggling to figure out what to do. As far as my water quality, nitrites are good, ph is around 7.2, water temp 76-78, but my nitrates are a little high (around 60ppm). I've currently got 6 platys and 3 apple snails as well as a collection of live plants in substrate. This is a pretty established tank - I've had it for about 4 years and its the first time I've ever seem anything like this....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:banghead:

Attachments

• FishTank_Web.jpg
    FishTank_Web.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom