NEED HELP: Lots of tiny air bubbles in my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got 72g bowfront about a month ago. Water is not clear because of thousands of tiny air bubbles that are everywhere. Since I am cycling the tank, I have not changed water yet. All bubbles that appeared when adding water to the tank have already gone and I thing that the only cause of the small bubbles can be my power filter, Emperor 400 (I don't have any air stones, or live plants). I tryed to change water level a bit, hoping to be able to adjust it so water coming from the filter doesn't create bubbles, but there was no success.
In my belief, this problem is not unique. That's why I'm trying to find someone who had this problem and found a solution.

hmm...I like tiny air bubbles. Are you sure they're air bubbles??

The water level will have to be above the outlet of the filter for it to not make much surface disturbance. Is there air trapped somewhere in the impeller assembly?? or perhaps a leak some where sucking air into it??

Or, the "air bubbles" could be an algae bloom (aka new tank syndrome). Your filter shouldn't be able to pump microbubbles on that level. How long have the bubbles been around?

FWIW, whenever I do a pwc I get lots of small air bubbles on everything in the tank that is near where I add water. Typically after a day or two they go away--probably get knocked off by my fish as they explore.

hmm...I like tiny air bubbles. Are you sure they're air bubbles??

I'm sure these are air bubbles. They are the reason the water is not as clear as I hoped it would be.

The water level will have to be above the outlet of the filter for it to not make much surface disturbance. Is there air trapped somewhere in the impeller assembly?? or perhaps a leak some where sucking air into it??

Water level is surely above filter water outlet, but I'm not sure how to check if air is trapped in the impeller assembly.

Or, the "air bubbles" could be an algae bloom (aka new tank syndrome). Your filter shouldn't be able to pump microbubbles on that level. How long have the bubbles been around?

Amonia level just started to grow and there is no nitrates. So, I don't think it's an algae bloom.

Did you adjust the spraybar so that the jets do not go in center of biowheel ? I just added a Emperor 400 to my 90 gal setup, as a secondary filter. I had same problem . I played with spraybar adjustment and after it ran for about a week the biowheel started to load up and the air bubbles have subsided greatly. If you are just cycling a tank it may take a while longer. HTH

Did you adjust the spraybar so that the jets do not go in center of biowheel ? I just added a Emperor 400 to my 90 gal setup, as a secondary filter. I had same problem . I played with spraybar adjustment and after it ran for about a week the biowheel started to load up and the air bubbles have subsided greatly. If you are just cycling a tank it may take a while longer.

I think that bio-wheel is rotating too fast, but I cannot adjust it to move any slower. Maybe, with time it will get slower and it will decrease amount of bubbles created.

where do you live? Your location could also make a difference.

I live in Brooklyn, NY, USA. Not sure I understand what difference location can make.

yes once it gets heavier it will slow down and make alot less bubbles. I have an emperor 400 and it does the same exact thing.

Back
Top Bottom