Need Help Lowering Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ld123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I cannot seem to get my ammonia reading down????

29L tank. 10 endler guppies, 2 oto cats and 2 Corys. Yes it's been running about 10 weeks

Ld123 said:
Nitrates 20
Nitrite 0
Ammonia .25

Well the trAtes prove the cycle has been completed.

The Ammo can be either from stocking or base ammo in the tap water.

I'd go with the first option at this point, but to be safe test your tap water and see what it reads :)

How can large water changes and prime affect this?

LyndaB said:
If you use Prime and test within 24 hours, you'll get false readings.

So...if you're cycling with fish IN...and doing two pwc's a day using Prime to condition the water...how will you ever know where your ammonia reading really is? Do you just watch for the nitrites to rise to know the cycle is moving forward? Does Prime slow down the growth of the bb colony?

I'm new to this and am just trying to understand it better. ;-). Thanks!

In theory, the BB can still access the ammonia when it's been sequestered by Prime, so it's not a detriment to them. Usually, the 'false positives' that I see are not quite .25, but also not quite yellow. To minimize false readings, make sure you read the test 5 minutes after adding the reagents (or whatever the test says to do) and not any longer.

aqua_chem said:
In theory, the BB can still access the ammonia when it's been sequestered by Prime, so it's not a detriment to them. Usually, the 'false positives' that I see are not quite .25, but also not quite yellow. To minimize false readings, make sure you read the test 5 minutes after adding the reagents (or whatever the test says to do) and not any longer.

I like that..." in theory"...lol...but thank you...that helps. ;-). I've seen that 'not quite yellow...not quite green' color before in my readings...I understand. Thanks!

I figure it's either not enough ammonia to be harmful or a false positive, so I don't worry about it until it's clearly .25+, then it's PWC time!

"In Theory" is of half what keeps Seachem afloat.

Back
Top Bottom