Need help NOWWWW!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Went to school this morning, noticed a couple of fry dead... Started kind of panicking, didn't have time for WC... One neon tetra was gasping at the bottom of the tank, upside down. Panic mode for rest of day. Come home, and to my absolute HORROR... I see all of my fish dead, dead as stone. Except for 2 neon tetras sitting there, just kinda chillin, one gasping for air at bottom? They all have kind of frayed edges, and I was originally treating for ich... I added 2 tsp of salt (mixed with water first) yesterday, and raised temp directly from 75-81 (not directly, had to switch heaters, so I guess it took some time.) that was yesterday. Now, I have a 10 gallon tank, with 15 dead fish, one dying, and 2 that I do NOT want to lose!!! What should I do?!!?!!?!?! Their bodies seem kinda opaque if that matters...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398372827.661928.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398372837.488566.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398372854.472198.jpg no one really replied to my other post when I needed it most, now, I just want to save my fish ;( x(

Could you have had an ammonia/nitrite spike ? I'd do a huge WC like 50% x2 over an hour... Have you introduced any new fish recently ?

What type of fish died? How many of each type?

What was your starting stock total (species/number of), before all the commotion?

10 guppy fry RIP, 8 Neon tetras, 5 are... Yeah... And 2 look bad. Fins in horrible condition, and 1 more NT, just lying on floor breathing... Sigh...

Ammonia 0, I'm assuming water params are OK as nitrates were like 5 last week... I'm really in so much shock that it's hard to do a WC...

Pretty sure it wasn't salt, nor heat, might have been NTD??

If it is neon tetra disease, should it euthanize the survivors? I don't know how I'm gonna explain this to my parents, and my little brother.... (He's 5... ;( )

Why are you assuming your water params are ok? You've just lost almost all your fish. Something is clearly not right. I'd be testing like crazy if this happened in my tank

focus on testing the water and doing large wc. i know salt can be stressful. the water you used to mix the salt came from the tap or tank? did you treat it before putting in the tank if it came from tap?

what kind of behavior did the fish have prior to this? why treat for ich? did you see the ich or just suspect it?

need more info.

put in a airstone if u have it lights off too, this will help with stress.

No-3,
5 last week in a tank that small with food and close to if not fully stocked could be 50-80, maybe more. No3 accumulates, water change reduces it, other methods available.

Smaller systems=more smaller water changes! bordering on if not actually daily water changes are necessary. This I know to be true, my smaller tanks require much more work to keep them tip top. It is better to under stock here so it is an easier workload for you.

Agree with above, full range of tests, every possible test you have at your disposal.
Tetra do not like salt (depends on salt) anything that raises pH or hardens water is a no go.

put in a airstone if u have it lights off too, this will help with stress.

Warm water (ich cure and warmer tanks) must be well oxygenated. The difference of a few degrees makes a massive difference to the amount of oxygen the water can hold. Equally the amount of oxygen per hour a fish needs seems to increase with increasing temperatures.
(Most high oxygen fish come from cooler water)

If you are on the limit with stock at 24C, pushing it up to 28C will cause deaths as the water simply cannot supply enough oxygen for the tank.
This might not be the cause, just something to consider.

(Edit-NTD, does that affect other species? Or just tetra)

Fish often go pale upon death, if it's uniform across the fish it's normal. If it's isolated to an area it's probably internal bacteria of some description. This should have shown up before now.

(Assuming the tank and stock to be six months old or older)

Why are you assuming your water params are ok? You've just lost almost all your fish. Something is clearly not right. I'd be testing like crazy if this happened in my tank

That was temp, I had soccer practice :p

Anyways, I'll post params below.

It seems the fish are sinking to the bottom, going into almost a coma, only breathing, and then succumbing to some soryb

Sort of disease... I'm going to test
Results:
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite (Culprit?) : 5+ ppm :/
Nitrate: also extremely high (OTC) ... How could this have happened? Literally like 5 days ago this tank was in perfect condition...

And do a 50% WC...

Should I add salt? I had 2 tsp before I WC... Doing another 50% after that too.

We really need to know your parameters before we can suggest much.

Back
Top Bottom