need help on abit of general tank info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j4m35

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all... im pretty new on here and this is my first post, just after a bit of help really. as i onl know the really rough basics of tropical fish care.

I bought a tank and stand from my sisters boyfriend for nice and cheap as he needed to get rid of it (he had never even used it) its a nice 125ltr tank and has a huge foam background and bottom to it thats actually a filter aswell and has a built in airstone in the bottom and a bubble outlet each side in the top quater of the foam...heres a pic..
img_856846_0_52f3dfa26b1fb517a5416b08854f5771.jpg

I filled it today (running fishless for a while obviously) and added the heater and a pathetic fluval 1plus filter that i had in my old tank, as the filter still has old media in it and i thought well even if its a small amount it will still help get the water 'maturing', and will allow for some circulation in the tank untill i upgrade. but when i was filling it i noticed that at the back on the top of the foam is a hole so i had a proper look and would presume it is where i would attach an external filter to, so the water sucks through the whole foam background and floor and filters my water. I want to know if something like fluval 205 would do the job of filtering through the foam backing, as this would obviously wilter the water twice therefore should be lovely and clear.

also does anyone know what comapny makes these types of tanks with the big foam filter... lol. as i have been told that they are worth a decent bit of money. i know i got a bargin anyway as the tank, filter, stand and a new light hood for my lil 2ft tank only cost me £30 from him. lol

thanks
James

... i know i got a bargin anyway as the tank, filter, stand and a new light hood for my lil 2ft tank only cost me £30 from him.

My vote for biggest understatement of the year!

Welcome james. that is a really nice tank and I love the look of the background. I have no idea bout whether the fluval piping would fit through the hole though. Could you measure it?

Seeding the tank with the already colonized bacteria is a good idea, but you may still want to add a shrimp or two to do the fishless cycle; the bacteria needs something to "eat".

AWESOME ! - I never seen - or for that matter even knew they make things like this - I am not going to be any help to you - kind of a newbie myself - but I just want to take a moment to say - very impressive tank - good luck with it

I have seen somthing similar to that in Dr. foster and smith catalog, you might try looking there. That is really cool looking though.

brillaint. thanks for comments and links also. im going to have so much fun setting it up as i know that as soon as my fish are transfered to this new tank im going start doing some mini aquascaping in the old tank, and use for general easy breeders mainly guppys as a bit of live food for my larger fish. im starting on moulding and building some mini ornaments at the moment untill i can get a bit more money together for finishing off the full set up on the new tank.

Thanks mom2reds - I will check it out - However, if my kid (who is helping me with this tank) gets any ideas of changing our current motif - I'll shoot him (just kidding - I love him more than life) Because I just finished boiling the heck out of several pieces of driftwood he pick out - Peace:p

I can't wait to see how this tank progresses. Good for you on getting such a cheap acquisition! Some people just don't realise what they are throwing away.

just a quick update, as i first posted i was initally running it fishless for a bit, ive finally got my fluval 205 a few days ago and just finished setting it up. i was talking with someone from my LFS when i was buying the filter and she also did a test on both my waters to see if they were good enough for the fish to be happy when i switch them over, turns out the new large tank had a small trace of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and the tank the fish are in at the moment was actually to acidic and had a relatively high phosphate level. so i bought some fluval clearmax aswell as it says its good for absorbing the phosphate.
so to put the bag of clearmax in the filter i had to remove one of the foam pads (its fluval 4 plus internal filter as the tank is only small), and i took the foam pad and gave it a good squezze in the large tank to add some more bacteria and hopefully soon i should have two perfect tanks.... WOOOHHOOOO.... lol

anyway just thought i would update you all and when i get fish into their new home i will start a new topic as i will probally be after some advice on what other fish i should get to go in the larger tank...

Back
Top Bottom