Need help on converting to brackish water and will it harm my fish in doing so?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mananhammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the future i would like to convert my tank to a brackish water tank. My question is what of my fish are able to make it in this environment. It is a 55 gal tank. Fish are: 1 South African Rasbora 1 White Skirt Tetra 2 parkinsoni Rainbows 2 bosemani rainbows 1 common pleco 1 paradise rainbow Thank you for your help in this matter. Also is there specific salt i should look for brandwise and is there a specific substrate i should look for?

Something i forgot to add i am looking at a violet goby for the future. This is the reason for the conversion.

Last edited:
Brackish tanks are nice! I had one a few years back with 4 Violet Gobies and so other type of Gobies.

As for your current stock list I don't think any of those fish would survive in brackish water, but I could be wrong as I know more about oddball fish.

I would recommend Instant Ocean for your salt, keep the salinity around 1.010 - 1.012, my Violet Gobies did best in that. Use a sand substrate as Violet Gobies are filter feeders and will sift through the sand looking for food. They have very small throats so cut up shrimp or other meaty foods into very small pieces for them. I kept mine on a staple diet of Wardley Shrimp Pellets (they break up into very fine pieces once wet) and Algae waefers, but they'll also take blood worms, brine shrimp etc..

Lastly they get very large so I hope you have a fairly large tank. Mine grew from 6" to 12" in about 6 months then they slowed down in growth, but they have the capability of reaching 2 feet long.

Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know as they are one of my favorite fish and I probably have an answer for you :D

Back
Top Bottom