Need help on fish selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintastic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Need some help. We have a 64 litre freshwater tank with current population:

5 black ruby barb ( 4 males / 1 female)
2 rams (male and female)
1 bristle-nose catfish
6 neon tetras
2 loaches
8 shrimp
Several assassin snails

Looking for a colourful (so-called "show") fish, max 8cm, non aggressive, that likes being in the higher level of the tank a good deal of the time. Oh, and is not a dwarf sunset gourami. Too aggressive and had to return.

Thanks,
Neill

black ruby barb ( 4 males / 1 female)
2 rams (male and female)
1 bristle-nose catfish
6 neon tetras
2 loaches
8 shrimp
Several assassin snails

This is a 17 US gallon tank.

The barbs need a larger school and thus a larger tank.

I think rams need a larger tank.

I know the BN pleco needs a larger tank.

Neons are good.

What species of loach (you would need at least 3, 5 is better)

What species of shrimp?

Assassins are good.

Lynda,

The barbs appear very content, but you suggest larger school is better in a larger tank?

The Rams must go back as store advises that treated tap water is not good for them as our calcium levels too high. Disappointing, but best.

The BN pleco is very small, is healthy and thriving.

We have a pair of Khuli loaches but have heard 3 is better. Should we introduce another after the pair have inhabited tank for 9 mons together?

Amano shrimp (really great creatures).

We have been told by reputable store that we do have capacity for what we have and in taking the two Rams back, the addition of the show fish I seek would be ok.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Neill

17 gallons......

Kuhli loaches should have a minimum of 30 gallons, in my opinion. I have lots of experience with this species. They require room to zoom from corner to corner of the tank and they require a large school to be really happy.

Barbs are an aggressive fish. Usually people have them in larger tanks as a larger school is necessary to contain the aggression. Edited to add: I do have to apologize, this fish is referred to as peaceful.

This is what I found about your barbs (gorgeous fish, by the way): Very active and deserves a tank measuring at least 30" x 12" x 12"/75cm x 30cm x 30cm/67.5 litres. Interesting that they refer to an active fish being alright in such a small environment. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Puntius&species=nigrofasciatus&id=156

The BN pleco is small....... now. But it will grow. But it doesn't have room to grow to adult size in your tank.

Amanos are fantastic, I have some.

Your store is not giving you good advice, I'm sorry to say. That's not at all unusual. Most of us here have received horrendous advice from the lfs.

What are the dimensions I your tank? Personally I think the kuhlis are fine (if you up the school to 5-6) and the bn pleco is fine. The rams really need a bigger tank bit if your returning them that not an issue. The barbs sound fine but would prefer a longer tank over a tall one. 17g IMO is close enough to 20g which I consider the minimum for both the pleco ad the kuhlis.

Back
Top Bottom