Need help on fish transportation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl414

Aquarium Advice Activist
Picking up a 30g tank off craigslist, comes with an algae eater.
Any idea how to get this guy back to my house in one piece? It's a 45min drive and I'm just a bit worried.

When I moved (8 hour drive) I put the fish, decorations and filter media in a styrofoam cooler, along with a battery operated air stone. You probably won't need the air stone though, since you just have a short trip.
Make sure you bring some duct tape for the lid though, and strap that baby in with the seatbelt!

just put him in a fish bag. If he's really big then a cheap styro cooler from the gas station will work. You could also use a 5g bucket, just put a lid on it to keep it from splashing in your ride. If you do the cooler/bucket method then the movement of the vehicle will keep the water aerated, in that short of a trip o2 shouldn't be an issue anyhow.

Either way, it'll be like buying a fish from a pet store, so no biggie. If he's really big (i.e. common pleco) then he shouldn't go into the 30g anyway, but that's another subject unto itself.

Back
Top Bottom