need help on what to do with my tank now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok well im am clueless on what to do with my tank now.well i gone thru 5 goldfishes in like 2 1/2 months or so and each and one of them have died.i dont wanna keep buying anymore fishes especially since my 10 gallon aquarium has high ammonia levels now and i havent been able to bring it down.ive done 25% water changes each week maybe twice a week or so since i also been using the gravel vacuum ,but i dont know why the ammonia levels just dont go down.what can i do to bring it down and how long would it take???i also noticed that the filter cartridge has this wierd stuff on top that look like mole that grows on bread type of thing but its white.looks gross.im new to all this aquarium hobby and i wanna learn more to it , i just want a healthy aquarium before i add any more fish to it, dont want my fish to die so quick as the ones i kept buying.and im just gonna quit buying goldfish and try adding tropical fish.but need help on what to do to lower my ammonia levels and to obtain a healthy aquarium.since im fishless now what can i do.please need as much advice as possible.thanks:confused::(

Ok first what you need to do is some research. Decide wether you would want to do a fish-in cycle or a fishnets cycle and go from there. Google is your friend. Is the 10 gallon tank the one you are talking about?

n i have read about cycling but only when its new tank ..since there is high levels of ammonia there already dont know what to do next

Just throwing my two cents in but I thought goldfish required 20 gallon for the first one and 10 gallons for each one you add after that?

You'll have to do at least daily water changes to keep ammonia no higher than .25ppm while its cycling. I really hope you're using a liquid test kit cuz honestly, strips are crap. Also goldfish don't belong In a 5gal, I'm sorry. Please please please read the article that mumma posted, its full of all the right info. Then we can go from there. :)

You'll have to do at least daily water changes to keep ammonia no higher than .25ppm while its cycling. I really hope you're using a liquid test kit cuz honestly, strips are crap. Also goldfish don't belong In a 5gal, I'm sorry. Please please please read the article that mumma posted, its full of all the right info. Then we can go from there. :)

ok..i will be doin the daily water changes starting today.and i didnt have my goldfish in a 5 gallon, it was a 10 gallon.tho i been reading in here that one goldfish should be in a 20g, when i first got my first 2 goldfish the salesman in petco told me goldfishes were fine in a 10gallon, and that 2 fishes were the most i could of had in the aquarium.so i guess he was wrong .. but now i know.and after my tank normalizes , i will be getting tropical fish.do u have any ideas on what fish would be nice fishes for a 10g.and how many can i have.?

Just throwing my two cents in but I thought goldfish required 20 gallon for the first one and 10 gallons for each one you add after that?

yea i guess thats true.reading thru the forums i recently found that out.i kept 2 in a time in my 10 gallon cuz the salesman in petco told me 2 goldfish would be fine in a 10gallon...guess he just didnt know what he was talking about :nono:,so guess no more goldfish for me, after my tank cycles ill be getting some tropical fish

Back
Top Bottom