need help quick I got some kind of worms.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beernboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
I suppose to be gettin my pea puffer tomorrow and I got some kind of little squiggly worms swimming in my tank. Does anyone know what they might be and will they hurt my fish?

beernboots said:
I suppose to be gettin my pea puffer tomorrow and I got some kind of little squiggly worms swimming in my tank. Does anyone know what they might be and will they hurt my fish?

Sounds like planaria and no other than potentially providing a snack! Not sure if puffers will eat them.

Pictures would help but maybe some kind of larvae. Maybe mosquito???

I just put a bunch of new plants in there from petco and a piece of drift wood from another store. I boiled the drift wood for 30 min though. I really worried. I had a female beta in there till I get my Puffers and she died today.don't think it was the worms but I don't know. I worried. I had to order the fish. Just found one of my Ottos dead too. ****!!!!

vanimal said:
Pictures would help but maybe some kind of larvae. Maybe mosquito???

Been wanting my Puffers for ever now I gettin them and I got some kind of mutant **** swimming around my tank. I am pissed.

Sillyfishies said:
You just got new plants... Are you sure it's not a plant root?

Know. They wiggling and swimming. I can't get a pic cause most are real small. Found them while doin a water change and disturbed the tank.

Dangit I been dreaming about them pea Puffers and been waiting for them for over a month.

Are they white and look to be attached to the glass? If its planaria, its completely harmless. The puffer will most likely clean them up for you. They come from overfeeding

Some unasked for advice :)
Do you have an ammonia source for your established bacteria? If not you might consider adding pure ammonia to your tank or a raw shrimp to keep them fed. I'd hate for your cycle to crash before your puffer goes in. They are pretty sensitive to an uncycled tank. Just in case you didn't already know, which you probably did!

Edit - just saw about your oto. Sorry to hear that! What are your parameters like?

Just did a partial water change because the amonia was .25. This tank is fully cycled. I had fish in it for a while now. I skipped a few water changes so the plants could take root a little better. I shouldn't have done that I know better but I didn't want to have to replant all those plants. Here a pic of my tank. It took me a while to plant it.

ForumRunner_20120719_201233.jpg

christine2012 said:
Are they white and look to be attached to the glass? If its planaria, its completely harmless. The puffer will most likely clean them up for you. They come from overfeeding

Do you have an ammonia source for your established bacteria? If not you might consider adding pure ammonia to your tank or a raw shrimp to keep them fed. I'd hate for your cycle to crash before your puffer goes in. They are pretty sensitive to an uncycled tank. Just in case you didn't already know, which you probably did!

Edit - just saw about your oto. Sorry to hear that! What are your parameters like?

Everything is 0 except the amonia. I just did a water change so I checking it again now.

I thought I saw one the other day but my wife thought I was nuts cause it was gone when she got to the tank. Now she has seen them too.

christine2012 said:

They not stuck to the glass. They just were swimming around after I disturbed the water. I don't see them now.

beernboots said:
Sorry nitrates are at 35. Must have fudged the test cause I just retested it.

It happens to everyone lol I can't stand testing nitrate because I guess I'm a wimp about shaking the bottles haha. Any idea what caused the betta and oto to pass away? I suspect they died and decomposition took over, thus the ammonia spike.

christine2012 said:
It happens to everyone lol I can't stand testing nitrate because I guess I'm a wimp about shaking the bottles haha. Any idea what caused the betta and oto to pass away? I suspect they died and decomposition took over, thus the ammonia spike.

No they died today. I love all 6 tanks that are currently running and keep an eye or my wifey does all the time. I like to pet my fish believe it or not. They come to the glass when I walk in the door. Especially my black mollies and beta.

Back
Top Bottom