Need help regarding external filter please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah1953

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've just bought a second hand Boyu 196 tank for £175 which is a lot but the seller is coming to my home to set it up for me. He's also including a new Interpet 300w heater. So that's good for me.

I didn't know I also had to buy a filter and the seller suggests a Fluval 350 or 360. These are so expensive so I wondered if anyone on here can help me please regarding buying a filter for this very large tank. Is one of these filters better than the other as I have to clean it all out every 2 months and I'm a newbie to all this. :confused:

Thanks for reading all this.

I have a sun sun HB-304b. I havent had any issues yet and ive been running it for a year and a half. Look it up on ebay.

What is the capacity of the tank? 196 - something?

Must be 196 litres, which works out to a wee bit less than 52 gallons, correct?

That looks more like a 40 gallon or even a 30 gal to me. Either way even if it is a 50gal, a 300 watt heater is too big. I have a 60 and i struggle with keeping temp below 84

Forgot to mention filter. Go with a fluval 406. They last for much longer than hang on back filters and they're so much quieter. Cheaper in the long run

That looks more like a 40 gallon or even a 30 gal to me. Either way even if it is a 50gal, a 300 watt heater is too big. I have a 60 and i struggle with keeping temp below 84

I don't know the gallon capacity, the tank measure a bit under 3'long x 2'5" high and 1'5" depth. I haven't actually seen it in person, only pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 34
That tank is actually 70 gal. Seems smaller in the pictures

One good-sized cannister will suffice. I've been using these Marineland cannisters with good results for a few years:

Marineland.png

This particular model is vailable from Amazon for $140.

Ya looks smaller in pix Joe. If 70 gallon, might need a few power heads and a canister filter. JMO

Mike.:)
I've just bought a Fluval 306 filter for it as Joe said that to be the better one. What sort of powerheads as I've never done this before....What do they do that a filter can't?

The pics are of my current Juwel tank with a new baby turtle - Musk I think.....

Attachments

• IMG_1984 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1984 - Copy.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2201 (2).jpg
    IMG_2201 (2).jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 31
I've just bought a Fluval 306 filter for it as Joe said that to be the better one. What sort of powerheads as I've never done this before....What do they do that a filter can't?

The pics are of my current Juwel tank with a new baby turtle - Musk I think.....

Powerheads just create flow and circulation in your tank. I. You have the output on the opposite side of the tank from the intake and you angle it towards the intake you should be good. If not, you could get a small one and aim it at the intake for better circulation

Back
Top Bottom