Need help sexing a pearl gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lestat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, wonder if anyone could help me to decide what sex my gourami is, I think it's a female. Have posted some photos. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160918_153644.jpg
    20160918_153644.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 20160918_153620.jpg
    20160918_153620.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 95
  • 20160918_153349.jpg
    20160918_153349.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 111
I would say That a Male The female has a shorter and rounder dorsal fin. Where the males have a longer dorsal Fin ,and can be more orangey to red around the throat especially when females are around.

Thank you, have been going back and forward with what I thought it might be. Was because of the Orange on its underside rather than red. Was wanting to add a female to the tank as well, if it is a male, will this change the colour of the gourami?

I'm thinking female?
Here's a pic of my boy I had 1474220178290.jpg
They are beautiful looking fish!

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Def a male and the orange or red is only visable when the fish is in breeding colors. That's not a year round color for this fish. Many Gouramis have "breeding" colors that make them look different.
As for adding a female, I'd make sure you see a much rounder dorsal fin and the female should be loaded with eggs so she would have a round belly. A young male will look like a female until his dorsal fin stretches out so you want both the fin and the eggs to be 100% sure. (y)

Ahh I see, my guy in the picture was 4yrs old.

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Thank you very much for your expertise. So it's Defo a male, will wait a week or so before I add any more fish. Seems to like swimming from the top to the bottom of the tank constantly, think he sees his reflection as another gourami? Was looking at some galaxy rasboras? Any suggestions for some other fish?
That's a lovely looking Gourami you have Shelly.

Back
Top Bottom