Need help sexing scarlet badis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 6 new scarlet badis arrived today. I had requested 2M/4F, what do you think?

img_3182785_0_11e362816f920e67c92b9a3a6a1660ae.jpg

img_3182785_1_efd318e71e19bf73df228d90599bb91c.jpg

This is my pair from the same source so you can see the females they sell do have some color:

img_3182785_2_36d12e3535b3fe543caf776c9f657d6b.jpg

It is tough to say while they are in the bag, they should color up better once they hit the water and settle down, the one top right in the bag looks like it could be a male. My males also tend to fade out, when females aren't ready to breed.

It is tough to say while they are in the bag, they should color up better once they hit the water and settle down, the one top right in the bag looks like it could be a male. My males also tend to fade out, when females aren't ready to breed.

Thanks. I'm just hoping for no more than 2 males. Will have to see once they're settled in the tank.

I see 3m/3f maybe 4m/2f. Wait and see when they settle in. My females are a drab grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Going to take a better look today now that they're settled in. Thanks for the responses!

Cool. Take some more pics and let's take a second look.

A bit off topic , but what do you feed your scarlet badis?

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A bit off topic , but what do you feed your scarlet badis?

They're wild caught but I haven't had any issues getting them to eat...tiny pellets, frozen and freeze dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp. They're in a tank with RCS and I've seen them next to fry and not eat them.

I heard bloodworms can cause obesity. Thank you for the help. :)

Bloodworms used in conjunction with a variety of other quality foods is not a cause for concern. Bloodworms used alone is.

Many live and frozen foods have been blamed for obese fish, when in actuality it's the amounts fed to the fish that is the cause.

With that being said blood worms have anchoring spurs, that are not digested and passed whole. If fed a constant diet of bloodworms, these spurs can buildup and cause blockages which will lead to a fish looking obese.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did not know that but Thank you for the information.

Me too. Also, this is way off topic, but does anybody see a Boesemans' Rainbowfish when they look at the First Merit Bank logo?

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Yup me too.....4m/1f.

Same count I thought, thanks. I wish I could get a shot of the entire colony....

It's been interesting though since I always read keeping males together would be a problem.

Same count I thought, thanks. I wish I could get a shot of the entire colony....

It's been interesting though since I always read keeping males together would be a problem.

I never had a problem, but their behavior is very cichlid like, so the female may cause some issues between the males.

I never had a problem, but their behavior is very cichlid like, so the female may cause some issues between the males.

Little micro battles!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I kept all sorts of cichlids in the past but these tiny fish have monster sized personalities! It's great watching them argue from each end of a live worm. They also stalk shrimp, often times larger than themselves, but I've never seen them actually attack one.

img_3185133_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom