Need help using sand as substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay i have always used regular gravel as substrate but i recently aquired a new tank and want to use sand. It is a Eclipse twelve gallon tank. It is currently full with water and has been cycling for about a week.
So, i bought a bag of regular playground sand from Ace hardware. How would i go about placing the sand in the tank? Do i just pour the sand in while the tank is still full with water? or do i empty the tank then pour the sand in and fill it back up with water verrrryyy sloooowwwlllyyy so i wont make a foggy mess?
Let me know i'm confused. I don't want a cloudy tank.
Thanks.

And also what would be a better type of sand if this playground stuff isnt good enough? I know i need some type of heavy sand. like pool sand? The fish that i want to place in the tank are brakish water puffers. so i dont really need hardwater. I need some suggestions. thanks

basically, you suck some water out i would say about a gallons worth...then slowly pour the sand in.....no mater what its going to get cloudy when you put in the sand and it will be cloudy for a bit...but make sure you clean out the sand very well, even if you pour it verrrryyy sloooowwwlllyyy...LOL you still will kick up some sand because it is so fine, but in the end the tank will look amazing...good luck!!! :D

yeah rinse it off first in a bucket of just decholorinated tap water, kind of swoosh it around then what i did was just grab handfulls of sand from inside the bucket and put it in the aquarium so i can put it where i want, it took time and the tank was very cloudy(by the way turn off the filter for the first 20 or so mins while doing this so it doesnt suck up alll the sand that you could use, then when it mostly settles turn it back on) its a chore but its fun...get a picture if you can i want to see how it looks :D

IMO, you will need too much water to rinse with to bother using dechlor. You need to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse. Put the sand in a bucket, take it outside and spray it with a hose. Swirl it all around, let the sand settle a bit, and dump off the dirty water. Repeat until there is only clear water being dumped. As for putting the sand in your tank, turn off the filter, empty about half the water, and use a cup to scoop the sand from your bucket or what ever into the tank. It will be cloudy for a bit, but depending on how well you rinse your sand, it shouldn't be too bad.

normally you need to put your sand in first before your water. Try and rinse the sand several times before placing it in the tank. It will take several days for it to settle, so don't be alarmed to see your water all cloudy.

Your tank will look great with the sand.

I did mine just how Meredith suggested, using a 5 gal bucket and a house until the the water ran clear. I used pool filter sand from the local pool shop and it really looks awesome....the only issue I have with it is, it's more of a pain to do gravel vacs, but it's not a big deal. My tank was cloudy for about 24 hours is all afterwards and it cleared up really nicely.

I also used pool filter sand, but play sand is done the same way. Just as Meredith said, fill a 5 gal bucket about 1/3 way full of sand, stick a garden hose in it, and just let it fill. Then keep the hose in there, letting the water overflow the bucket. Swish the sand around with your hand until the loose particles float out of the water and it becomes clear. Work the hose down to the bottom of the bucket so you are sure it kicks up all of the sand and mixes it around.

I would drain about 50% of the water in the tank, then scoup in the sand. It may take a couple hours for it to settle, I can't really comment on how long it takes for play sand to settle. I know that pool filter sand almost instantly settles. Mine was settled before I finished putting in the heater and decor. I didn't have cloudy water at all in my 10 gal tank when I sanded it.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!
I got the perfect idea on how to place the sand in my tank.
How do live plants do in sand? do they come up easily?

Live plants do well in sand. I've had Cryptocorynes, Cabomba, Hygrophila, Anachris, Alternanthera, Amazon swords, etc. all in sand do very well. Sand makes it easier to plant them or move them around if necessary. If you can get some Malayan trumpet snails they will help stir the sand up and keep anaerobic bacteria from developing.

Thanks greenmagi and gheitman.
i'm going to place to sand in my tank tonight.
How much sand should i get for a 75 gallon tank?

I've never worked with a tank that big, but on my 20 gallon long tank I used 30 pounds of Onyx sand and barely had enough. I would say 110 to 120 pounds at a minimum.

I put in 40lbs in my 55. That gave me about an inch depth. I was having a problem with some of my plants at first coming up really easy in the sand, but once the roots spread out a bit, they stay in place.

Back
Top Bottom