Need help with a really good stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to cycle with 6 danios. I know that I want some Cory cats also.

How man Cory cats should I get?
How many, and what other fish should I get?

I have a 60 gallon tank

I like schooling fish. And would like multiple schools ( more activity in the tank )

I don't think you can put to many silver dollars in that size aquarium, well not a schooling amount. Plus, if you have plants, the silver dollars will tear them up. Corydoras do best in groups of 6 or more.

Readingexcalibur said:
I don't think you can put to many silver dollars in that size aquarium, well not a schooling amount. Plus, if you have plants, the silver dollars will tear them up. Corydoras do best in groups of 6 or more.

That was my plan with the Cory's. I will get six of those

I guess that scratches the idea on the silver dollars.

What else can I put with them ?

In that size tank, I would do a few schools of cory species, 6 each.

As to schooling fish, my particular favorite type of fish, I would do large schools of rummynose tetras, ember tetras, white cloud mountain minnows, platies and maybe some gourami.

Have you checked out roseline sharks? They are tight schoolers, pretty fish, do best with 5+ and only get 4 inchs. It's like have a school of mini bala sharks in your tank! ** school best in a 48"+ tank however, no tall tanks.

Make sure the roselines are farmed, though, as the wild ones are an endangered species.

LyndaB said:
Make sure the roselines are farmed, though, as the wild ones are an endangered species.

I heard this as well, my local petsmart is selling them and I picked up 6 myself. I assume they are farmed. Awesome schooling fish for sure!

Readingexcalibur said:
Have you checked out roseline sharks? They are tight schoolers, pretty fish, do best with 5+ and only get 4 inchs. It's like have a school of mini bala sharks in your tank! ** school best in a 48"+ tank however, no tall tanks.

That is awesome. I'll have to check that out. I was wanting bala sharks. But after researching them. They will get too big

Thanks

LyndaB said:

As to schooling fish, my particular favorite type of fish, I would do large schools of rummynose tetras, ember tetras, white cloud mountain minnows, platies and maybe some gourami.

Don't the gourami get big?

LyndaB said:

Can I mix species of Cory's like get 2 of each kind or do they only school in their own species?

Stephen Rollins said:
Can I mix species of Cory's like get 2 of each kind or do they only school in their own species?

I mixed albinos with peppered corydoras and the will not school together. I would seem they enjoy their own species. Judy my experience thus far.

Readingexcalibur said:
I mixed albinos with peppered corydoras and the will not school together. I would seem they enjoy their own species. Judy my experience thus far.

I think I'll stick to one species then. Thanks

ktomminello said:
Dwarf gourami only get to be 5-7 inches- my paradise gourami is 4 inches full grown

So should I get a male and female. And only have the two of the dwarf gourami

How are these stocking lists. Still not sure if I want angles.

Oh and I've decided to do a fish less cycle first. Then add the fish a little at a time maybe two months of adding till fully stocked

Back
Top Bottom